xp is gettin on my tits

M

mr.6

Pls help. I have run XP for about 1 year now an everything was fine. I upgraded it from win98 se. Recently tho, it started to crash alot so i decided to to a reformat an reinstall as i had previously done. For some reason, now the system freezes (the diplay still works but cannot move mouse pointer or press any keys). I cant work out what it could be.
It happens when i use 'all seeing eye' to get on counterstrike server, but it can also happen when im just trying to browse on the internet or even when i have kazaa up an runnin. Sometimes it happens after 10mins sometimes after an hour or so. At first I thought it could be my gfx card or processor overheating but im running 4 main fans in my tower and i've ven tried leaving the cover off. Everytime it freezes i have to reset machine and scandisk starts to truncate some files (normally the progs which were running) Does anyone know what TRUNCATING IS?. I have now reformatted anout 5 times an reinstalled XP full (as opposed to upgrade from win98se). I have D/L all the latest winXP updates. I don't know what else i can do. Wots worse is that ELSA has folded so i cant even get any gfx card support.

1.2Ghz Athlon
384meg SDRAM 133
a-bit KT7A motherboard
ELSA Gladiac Geforce2 GTS (latest detonator drivers 30.82XPdrivers)

I was under the impression that when you reformat and reinstall everything should work okay. Does XP have configuration files which stay on HD after reformat??:confused:

i'm no expert, but if i had to guess, i'd say it was a hardware problem.

I would have to agree that it is a hardware problem.

Little background:

When i first installed xp, the system would lock after occasional use, during a game, or while surfing the web. This was a new machine and I was sure that it had something to do with the hardware setup. I quickly checked my dip switches (Soltek Board) and discovered that one of the boots on the ide cable had flipped on one of the switches. This under-clocked my frontside bus which intern led to the instability of my system.

Short story long, check your jumpers or dip switches. If they are all correct, then you have another problem and probably need a new board!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back