XP Internet Time

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
I've just found that xp has its own internet time server. :rolleyes: By clicking the clock it brings it up. Has anyone tried it? When I do it comes back & says 'an error occured getting the status of the last synchronization. The RPC server is unavailable'. Anyone got it to work? Or have I turned off some service that it needs?

No i'd say its probably not available and yes i've had it work for me.:)

hipster i've had that 4 a long time+ got no idea y it does it:( i tired turning on the time service or sumin but i couldn't. i don't wooryu bout it but wopuld like 2 no y it does it.:(

^^soz bout spelling mistakes...i'm 2 drunk 2 type;)

You must enable the service (run 'services.msc') called Windows Time.

Then use this time server: utcnist.colorado.edu

It works great. I use it rather than AtomTime or AtomicClock, etc. From time and time again I do run into an error (that can be viewed in event viewer), but other than that it does sync.

I couldn't get it to work either with the default time servers, so like madmatt said, last month I added a new time server.

The default time update is once a week, you can find a tweek that will do it every 24 hours, if you can't find the tweek here try activewin.com.

And yes it works better than any of the add ons, why, because resources are nil and its built in.

hmm i must try that server...the 2 that are there now (windowz time + sum else) don;t work:(

saw it since i first installed XP and set the time. Never had a problem with it. I usualy forget about it for months.

I have been using it since XP first came out and have never had a problem with it.

I've got the right service running.
1/ time.windows.com 2/ time.nist.gov Both give errors. When I try maddmatt's suggestion I get the same error. Ah well doesn't really matter.

really? weird. give it a few tries, it should honestly work. I have never had a problem with that time server timing out or anything.

i have since i reinstalled. it don't really bother me though as the clock is still right:p

Hi Hipster Doofus, I think that error message only means that at the time it tried to update, you were not connected to the internet. Mine updates fine when I click the Update Now button.

mine does it all time,even when on net.

I've been mucking around with it & I think it won't work because I have some other services turned off as well. Not to worry I'll just use another timer. :)

*Henyman does his clock acording 2 his watch*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back