• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XP Installation CD

dannilo

OSNN One Post Wonder
I'm very mad to say the least I was gonna format and install a fresh XP Home OS on my computer again like the one I currently have. BUT I LOST THE CD . So after hours of seaching I decided we did not take it with us when we moved to a new location 2 years ago. I still have a genuine XP certification sticker on the back of my XP with the CD key thoug, my question is can I still reformate with the CD key. Could I downlaod the XP Install disc to a blank disc from the web (A genuine version) if I provide Microsoft with my CD key.

Disclaimer: sorry to bug you guys but microsoft charges 35 USD for getting technical support .

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Can't download, at least not from MS, without something similar to a MSDNN subscription. They may however send you a CD, but you'd have to call them. And, that sticker on the side of your case probably entitles you to an OEM copy, so if your computer is a Dell or something similar, contact them instead of MS.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
All you need to do is find someone with a XP Home CD (legit of course) and use your CDKey instead.

I saw legit CD cause some cracked cds wont accept a legit key, some come cracked on the CD.

duked

OSNN Addict
I'm not so much like the previous guy who posted. Just d/l a copy of XP home edition! haha :p. I expect you'd be fine as long as you MAKE SURE it's the same version. Home and not Professional as well as same service pack in case.

I am not sure, but if you ask for another copy of the CD despite you having ur cd-key you'll probably have to pay a charge for it neways from MS for sure. I'd expect somethignin the $20+ range. That's just a guess though

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
The service pack on the CD doesn't matter. It just means the service pack it steamlined into the CD, it's the best way to install a SP if you ask me.

duked

OSNN Addict
If you do decided to just download a copy (no it's not right but I won't say nething hehe) make sure it's bootable because I ran into that problem a little bit ago and it just causes a pro-longed headache you don't need to deal with. I posted a thread about that problem a little bit ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oggeytom