• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XP Install Help Needed ASAP

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
#1
Trying to install WinXP on a old compaq with a brand new Hard Drive. During the install right after it installs the drivers I get bsod the technical information says
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC000001D,0x807C8941, 0xfcc3A34C, 0xfcc3A04C)
Have updated drivers, don't know what the problem is, any help appreciated.
 

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
#3
Thanks yoyo, I tried all those and still couldn't get it to run correctly. I think there is a hardware compatability problem, possibility a video driver, that I can't overcome. Ohh, well I guess this PC will stay Win98.
 

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political User
#4
Originally posted by Maveric169
Thanks yoyo, I tried all those and still couldn't get it to run correctly. I think there is a hardware compatability problem, possibility a video driver, that I can't overcome. Ohh, well I guess this PC will stay Win98.
dont give up 2 soon!!!! someone else may b able 2 help:happy:
 

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
#5
Originally posted by Henyman
dont give up 2 soon!!!! someone else may b able 2 help:happy:
Yea, I really hated that I wasn't able to give the forum time to work on the problem. But my wife has all her work stuff on the drive and needed it baddly, so I have to default back to win98. Funny thing is though that the drive size is being reported at 57GB instead of 60GB. Don't know what happen to the other 3 GB.
 
S

Silis

Guest
#6
Its still there...

In order to know where the 3 Gb went, you have to understand how hard drive manufactures label drives and what the capacity of a drive is.

The underlaying achitecture of storage states that there are 8 bits of data in 1 byte of data. Also there are 1024 bytes of data in one kilobyte of data. There are 1024 KB of data in 1 MB of data, 1024 MB of data in 1 GB of data, 1024 GB of in 1 terabyte (TB) of data, Ad nauseam.

You may ask, what is the difference between lowercase b (b) and an uppercase b (B). (b) = bit, (B) = byte. (8b = 1B)

NOTE: Kb and KB are NOT THE SAME THING!!!

So, now we are ready to do some math. Harddrive manufactures label drives as (for our example) 60 GB. WOW! a whopping 60 GB, but, as you will soon find, they are decieving you on a mere technicality. (notice they never say 60GB of DATA...)

Data structure overhead is where the extra 24 bytes of data come from. (1024 instead of an even 1000)

60 GB = 60,000,000,000 bytes of data. (according to their specifications)

60,000,000,000 bytes = 58,593,750 KB of data

58,593,750 KB = 57,220.5 MB of data

57,220.5 MB = 55.8794 GB of data.


So, to answer your question, you never really had 60 GB (if you did, the drive would be labeled as a 64.42 GB drive.) So, don't worry, at least you didn't get a 200 GB drive, and wonder where 14.7 GB of data went....
 

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
#7
Re: Its still there...

Thanks for confirming that for me, this is exactly what I was thinking, and your math adds up almost perfectly to what I get by checking the harddrive size reported.

Originally posted by Silis
In order to know where the 3 Gb went, you have to understand how hard drive manufactures label drives and what the capacity of a drive is.

The underlaying achitecture of storage states that there are 8 bits of data in 1 byte of data. Also there are 1024 bytes of data in one kilobyte of data. There are 1024 KB of data in 1 MB of data, 1024 MB of data in 1 GB of data, 1024 GB of in 1 terabyte (TB) of data, Ad nauseam.

You may ask, what is the difference between lowercase b (b) and an uppercase b (B). (b) = bit, (B) = byte. (8b = 1B)

NOTE: Kb and KB are NOT THE SAME THING!!!

So, now we are ready to do some math. Harddrive manufactures label drives as (for our example) 60 GB. WOW! a whopping 60 GB, but, as you will soon find, they are decieving you on a mere technicality. (notice they never say 60GB of DATA...)

Data structure overhead is where the extra 24 bytes of data come from. (1024 instead of an even 1000)

60 GB = 60,000,000,000 bytes of data. (according to their specifications)

60,000,000,000 bytes = 58,593,750 KB of data

58,593,750 KB = 57,220.5 MB of data

57,220.5 MB = 55.8794 GB of data.


So, to answer your question, you never really had 60 GB (if you did, the drive would be labeled as a 64.42 GB drive.) So, don't worry, at least you didn't get a 200 GB drive, and wonder where 14.7 GB of data went....
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,014
Latest member
sanoravies