XP home, pro or corp. ?

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
My Mom received a new Pc with XP installed and didn't receive any cd-key or installation disk of windows XP.
Now, how can i check which version of XP she has installed ?

Thanx !

Press the windows key (between the ctrl and alt key) and 'pause/break' at the same time.

That will show you either XP home or XP pro.

If that is a home system with a legitimate copy of XP then you can be 99.99% sure that is not a corp copy/install of XP. Besides, the only difference between the xp pro and xp corp is that you don't have to active the xp corp.

Thanks! :)

Just go to the controlpanel and open the system tab.... on the first screen it says which version it is....
or you can just hit the windows button + pause/break (hotkey).

On a second note--your mom REALLY needs to contact whoever she got the pc through/from and get some type of backup cd.

REASON: She is really out of luck should she get a nasty virus or should a HD go out, because she will be paying about $100 for a new OS.

SOLUTION: Make your mom get a backup/restore cd that has XP on it. By law she is supposted to get a copy with her computer purchase.

Thanks! :happy:

It would be either Home or Pro...I doubt Corp.

Another way to tell is at the startup screen. The screen with the little "light bar" scrolling under where it says Windows XP. Look at that screen and it will say home or pro. The color of the "light bar" is different too. If I remember right, it is blue for pro and I think it is orange or something for home.

ok thank you for your help i checked and it says that it is a pro edition, i tryed to change her cd key (it is the FCK one ) and put my OWN xp pro cd key but windows does accept it why ?

xsivforce
I think it is orange or something for home.
Green for home :)
luish
ok thank you for your help i checked and it says that it is a pro edition, i tryed to change her cd key (it is the FCK one ) and put my OWN xp pro cd key but windows does accept it why ?
Er, if its the FCK key then its an illegal corporate copy of windows xp and you should take it back immediatly.
And it wont accept your cd-key because its XP Corp and not XP Pro, also You can't put your own copy of XP onto another computer either, each copy can only be activated on one computer.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B

Er, if its the FCK key then its an illegal corporate copy of windows xp and you should take it back immediatly.
Exactly, someone sold your Mom a machine with an illegal copy on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back