XP Home & Office 2000

D

Dick Johnson

Please help. My son in Raliegh, NC just bought a new Dell with "XP Home" installed. He can't get Office 2000 Professional to install at all. Is there a problem between XP Home and Office 2000 Professional? Or is he doing something wrong and I need to get more details and help him. I live in California, so seeing his problem is difficult!

There should be no problem with office 2000 installing on Xp Home. So I think there is something else thta's stopping the install. It would help if you can say what error you get.

Yes, agree with sboulema, need the error to know what to look for.

Let us know :cool:

Office 2000

I called my son-isn't home this weekend. I will get his error message Monday; or I sent him this forum link, I'll tell him to sign up with this forum and maybe you guys can help him directly? This IS the best help forum for XP that I've ever found! Thanks very much!

your welcome, yes by all means have him sign up.

Always looking to help people out :cool:

Office 2000 in XP

I just received an email from my son and hope I can attach to this thread, which explains why he can't get Office 2000 to install in XP:Hey there!

I checked out the XP-erience.org website, registered, but could not post a question (or is it called a 'thread'?). The error I receive is as follows:

About half-way through the install process, I get a message to install the Windows XP CD, of which I do NOT have. It does not allow me to browse the hard-drive for necessary files. Once this pop-up is cancelled, I get the message:

"Error 1933. The Windows Installer Service cannot update one or more protected Windows files."

At that point, the Office 2000 Install removes itself.

Perhaps you can post that on the forum since I don't seem to be able to- maybe my password does not activate immediately.

Please let me know if you hear anything from the forum.

Al
asiffer@calcheck.com

I hope somebody can help him----thanks very much. Dick Johnson

he needs to respond to the email in the email address he gave when he signed up, he won't be able to post until he does.

as far as he's problem give me a minute or two.

:cool:

Found this on the web, not my words, but it should fix the error.

While running setup for Office 2000, you may see a message, "Please
insert the Windows XP Professional CD into your CD-ROM drive," followed
by "Windows file must be installed for your installation to proceed.
Insert your Windows XP CD now." There is not an option to browse for the
needed file(s).

Cause:

This occurs because the Windows XP registry is forcing the installation
program to search an incorrect path for the needed files. It may affect
other Microsoft software other than Office 2000.

Resolution:

Edit the registry in the following manner.
1. Click on Start > Run > regedit. This will launch the registry editor.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion
3. Under CurrentVersion, click on the Setup folder. On the right side of
the screen, click on the Source Path key. Edit the value data to C:\.
4. Next, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT
5. Under Windows NT, click on the CurrentVersion folder. Again, click on
the Source path key and edit the value data to C:\.
6. Close the registry editor and restart the computer. After doing so,
start the installation again.

Before he does this, I highly recommend he backs up the registry first.

I also found this Microsoft Knowledge Base article

good luck

Office 2000 in XP

Iceman 38: Thank you very much for helping Al. I forgot that new machines you buy with XP installed don't come with an XP CD.

AL: One more suggestion; close everything in your taskbar except the clock when loading any major program. When your done and reboot, everything will come back. I tried installing Powerquest's "Drive Image 2002" three times with errors until dummy here shut everything off including AVG & ZoneAlarm.

Your welcome Dick Johnson, keep us informed on his progress, still willing to help as much as possible.

Is he still don't able to post? Keep us informed on that as well.

Office 2000 Install on XP Home

Originally posted by sboulema
There should be no problem with office 2000 installing on Xp Home. So I think there is something else thta's stopping the install. It would help if you can say what error you get.

While installing Office 2000 Professional, I get a message asking for me to insert the XP Home CD. My machine came w/XP pre-loaded, without a CD. There is no way to bypass this prompt, and once I hit "cancel", I get the following error:
"Error 1933. The Windows Installer Service cannot update one or more protected Windows files."

At that point, Office 2000 Pro de-installs itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al Siffer

is it an older version or sr-1? ive loaded many an Xp computer w/ office 2k using sr-1 or later in all 3 flavors (small business, standard and pro) and never seen that message

hmmm

Re: Office 2000

Originally posted by Dick Johnson
I called my son-isn't home this weekend. I will get his error message Monday; or I sent him this forum link, I'll tell him to sign up with this forum and maybe you guys can help him directly? This IS the best help forum for XP that I've ever found! Thanks very much!

Creeping gets you everywhere Dick, nice one
:D

Office 2000 in XP

Iceman38: Thanks your fix worked PERFECTLY! I had to call my son on the phone for an answer. Seems he has work to do at work and couldn't find spare time to answer forum. He knows I have plenty of time being retarded/retired?
Many thanks for the help! Dick Johnson

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back