Xp Home edition Upgrade

XpGuy1

Mindless Poster
I'm running XP home edition upgrade. I had ME.. and upgraded to XP Home.. Can anyone tell me. Would it be possible for me to blowout my hard drive and reinstall the xp upgrade all by its self? I would like to get a clean version on my system. If it doesn't allow me then I would have to buy the full version in order to accomplish this?

thanks

Absolutely. Reformat, boot to the XP CD and install. At some point during the process it will ask you to install the orignal disk from any previous Windows version just to prove you have it.

It's really much better not to upgrade over a dos based OS (such as ME) anyway. You'll be much happier with the fresh install over the long run. :)

You can do a complete fresh install of XP using the upgrade disk providing you have your old Win98 disk, the Xp install will ask you to insert it for the purposes of proving you had Win98 and really were upgrading.

Have fun.

Doesn't need to be a Win98 Disk Outlaw - any version of Windows will work.

I knew that Allan but I can't imagine anyone still having '95, although I'm sure there are some.

XPGuy is asking about ME though, so he'd use his ME disk. :)

doh......duh..........my bad......I had a day from hell and it's showing.

Okay now remember ME came with the system. I belive i have the ME disk i hope i still do at least.. LOL

Thank you 2 for the quick responses...

hmm... actually, if it CAME with the system, it's probably just a system restore disk that will put it back to the way it came. i'm not EXACTLY sure since i never had to do so, but i don't think it will work since it's not the actual installation CD.

I have a complete version of 98 that i can put in there when asked for a previous operating system. I am not sure if my ME disk is a recovery or not. I actually have a recovery cd that came with my system so that ME disk may be a complete install. I'll see for sure tonight.. thanks

if you place the xp cd(upgrade) in the cd-rom then reboot let it boot from the cd follow the instructions and there you go. Worked for me and a few others on this forum. Just make sure you do not delet the partion with fdisk or a third party software for some reason if you let xp take care of that it will think you had a previouse version of windows and continue with the install.

edit: it is the $99 upgrade cd, and not any other type of upgrade right! b/c I'm not sure wither it works with anything else other then the one you get from say best buy or whatever.

yeah thats the one i have the 99$ one.

So i can't fdisk it? I want to blow off my hard drive completly with nothing on the HD a nice fresh clean start. tell me what you think.

nope aint gonna work, you can only delet and recreate the partion using the xp cd or else it won't think that you had a previously installed OS, unless you have a disk for win9x or another OS, then go ahead and fdisk. But if you don't want to go through all that then I would just have it boot from the CD and go through the install process. You will still be able to do all the things that you can with fdisk, delet the partion, recreate a new one or two partion(s), then format and then install......hope that helps :)

Thanks alot.. I think i can do this now. I have a copy of 98 so i think i'm gonna fdisk it and then do the install. I dont have to install 98 just have the disk when asked by xp right? THen the upgrade should work.

if that is the way you want to go about, then yeah sure. :)

edit= IMO I still think you should skip the whole FDISK and just run the utility that XP has. It is less time consuming and it is a clean install, just not using FDISK, like I said you still get to delet your partion and ERASE all info. you just don't use the 98 utility.

I think we are being misunderstood. The fact is that XP's partition utility will do the same exact thing as FDISK. It's just less complicated. It's like a new version of FDISK. Just delete all the partitions using the D key and then create as many partitions as you want, or just stick with one big one. I have a 20GB hard drive, and I have one drive just for system files (5 GB), one drive for program files (5 GB), and one drive for documents and music (10 GB). The reason for this is that I format my hard disk every 2 months or so and this way i only format the 2 small drives so I don't have to back up my music files and documents.

Also, when you're partitioning, be sure to choose NTFS as the file system for your primary partition. XP was designed to use NTFS, and it is better than FAT32. The name even says it; it stands for New Technology File System, and it is different from the old NTFS, which stood for NT File System, and it was designed for Windows NT.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess I posted this when VR6 was editing his post.

By the way, you do realize that when you do install XP, DOS is gone? I mean, you can still use the DOS prompt, but you can't boot into DOS mode because there is none. XP is the first real operating system for home users from MS, because it's not just a shell for DOS like Windows 9X/2K.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back