XP has slowed to a grind

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
Last night my pc ground to a halt. Don't why coz everything looks fine but now i can't even burn a dvd coz the thing is too slow even to do that, even burning it is using 100% processor and thats just it i can't open anything else at ALL. any ideas on this on as i working away on Monday and the wife needs the pc.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
defragging and everything else turning up normal fragmentation ? no viruses or anything?

might be security patches as well...

perhaps list your processes so we can have a look see... :)

lieb39

Apple lover, PC User
Try these:

Todo List
1. Virusscan (with the latest updates)
2. See whats loading at startup, and see if they really need to be run. These websites can help you out: Blackviper and Startup - full list
3. See whats in your system tray, and see if you really need it.
4. Look at the tasklist and the websites above might be able to help you determine if you need to remove anything.
5. Scandisk
6. Defrag (Use 3rd party application, such as Diskeeper, excellent software)
7. Run Adaware

Thats all I can think of right now. Let us know how it works out.

-lieb39

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

did he install that 811439 security patch that Buggered all our comps up a while back?

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Do not forget that there is a possibility of the processor being faulty as well. I have had 2 similar cases in which one was a Pentium 3 while the latest was a Pentium 4 processor. Both newly bought but defective ones. Made the hell out of frustration on me !! Bloody Intel .. hehehehe : )

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mopiyaloog