xp hardware protection

M

mugwump

hi! is there a way for me 2 allow winxp to boot up in a completly new system...
i tried it and it wont boot up!!
and why the hell did ms do this??
its now harder 4 me to change systems...

thnx...

They do this to stop piracy.

IE. Someone installs Xp on their comp and then does a Hard Drive Image... installs it into the new system... voila... xp pirated.

You can't just swap a hard drive, you'll need to reinstall winxp completely anyway... its makes for a much more efficient XP

ok! thnx

but if they have the same hardware
it would work ryt???

no

serial numbers are different... XP looks at the hardware and their serial number... XP will accept 2 or 3 hardware changes every 3 months... So a complete system change will not make XP a happy chappy

Good question, I plan to change my pc completely very soon, I have XP on it. I will not ask for a new copy of XP with my next pc as I already own one ! I'll reinstall my old win98 on my current pc.

The question is: what should I do then to reinstall XP on my new pc ? I will not invest another 275€ ! I'm not as rich as Bill Gates, is anyone of us ?
Thanx!

When did you activate winxp?

if it was 3 months ago, you will have no problems reactivating on the new system.

If it was shorter than 3 months... Ring up Microsoft (they'll give you the toll free number when you choose activate by phone) and explain to them. Despite what people seem to say, i didn't get any major problems. I rang, they did a quick check, reset my activation and voila... Activated XP =)

Explain clearly that this is a new system that you have purchased and that Windows XP is no longer the OS on the old system. If they ask which OS just say Linux. (Unless you have a legit Win98)

WinXP is the only OS i have purchased =P... The other ones just weren't worth it... not to mention every joe bloggs had a copy somewhere in their CD stash.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back