XP HARDWARE AUTO DETECTION WIZARD - How do I turn it off?

B

bullet

I was wondering if it is possible to turn off the auto hardware detection wizard in XP?

If so, how?

Thanks!

You can disable the plug & play service, but I strongly recommend you do not - you could cause severe instability. What exactly is the problem you are trying to address?

Posted by allan
You can disable the plug & play service, but I strongly recommend you do not - you could cause severe instability. What exactly is the problem you are trying to address?

I think he addessed it by asking "I was wondering if it is possible to turn off the auto hardware detection wizard in XP?" Silence is the best answer to give when you can not answer someone's question. :rolleyes:

Recently I flashed my bios. All went ok booted up & the hardware wizard popped up wanting to install the onboard sound. Every reboot the same thing would happen. I eneded up going into the device manager & disabling the onboard sound which had a question mark next to it because it was not set up. Problem solved.

Ziptrix - I'm sure you can guess my reply to your sarcastic (and unnecessary) comments.

And he certainly did not state the problem he's trying to address - he merely asked how to achieve what he believes will be a solution. More likely than not there is a solution that is less drastic than disabling an important service. If he posts the issue(s) he's trying to address by disabling Hardware Detection (plug 'n play) we might be able to think of something.

Gotta agree allan. More info in most threads would go a long way. It might even get people away from the FORMAT answer. Well that might be going too far. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you can guess my reply to your sarcastic (and unnecessary) comments.
Sorry I don't playing guessing games.

And he certainly did not state the problem he's trying to address - he merely asked how to achieve what he believes will be a solution.
Glad to see that you know bullet so well, that it gives you the insight to say that such things. People don't need a problem to ask a question. It's not good to assume. :rolleyes:

Question!

Ladies, ladies, ladies..... now lets not get our knickers in a knot! :D

Geez, all I did was ask a question and you all jump to slit each others throats! :p

I am actually a middle man in this instance, a friend of mine asked me the question, I didn't know the answer, so I came here.

He said he is having some trouble with his PC, it detecting his printer everytime he starts up.

His printer is installed properly (so he tells me :D) and it works.

Personally I wouldn't turn off the detection wizard, I would solve the problem. This guy is not the most versed PC user and trying to solve the problem for him over the net would be too difficult and I would go nuts doing it.

So I thought the best way out was to ask the question, get an answer, relay that to him and hope it keeps him happy.

Cheers guys!

:)

Is the printer on a usb or parallel? If usb, can it be switched to parallel? Is it using its own drivers or XP's native drivers?

Has your friend tried removing the printer from XP (including uninstalling driver - if any), shutting down, disconnecting the printer, rebooting, reinstalling driver (if any), shutting down, reconnecting printer and rebooting?

Printer

His printer connected via the parallel port. I downloaded the XP drivers for him from Lexmark as XP did not have the required drivers.

He hasn't tried uninstalling, disconnecting, rebooting, sutting down, connecting, installing etc... as I said, he might get a little confused ;)

The problem is he lives about 2 hours away from me so I cant just jump in the car and head over there to fix it for him.

I will TRY and guide him over he phone or MSN and see how he goes.

Thanks!

Sure. Can't guaranty it will work, but it's the first thing that should be tried.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back