XP hangs..rrrgh!!!

Z

Zodiaq

This just started a few days ago.

After I boot and go to my user Windows completely loads and then BAM...Freezes for about a minute or so. This is driving me nuts!!! It doesn't do it all the time, maybe 1 outta 3 tries.

Any Idea what could cause this? I really haven't installed anything recently...no new processes.

Quick Specs:

Intel P4 2.53 Ghz
Crucial PC 2700
ATI 8500DV

See if these do anything. Start with the workstation first>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Also if not on a network disable 'workstation' at the same place as above.

Has some of your software that automatically starts up the possibility to update without interfering the user (like Anti-Virus software, Windows Update?). Perhaps that is the problem. Maybe some new driver or so was released or new virusdefinitions, that *could* cause the problem, if you are ABSOLUTELY sure you haven't installed things lately.
A little drastic, but try System Restore.

Actually I allready have the Background Intelligent Transfer disabled.

As far as updates. Yeah I have downloaded new updates recently and also Live updates with Norton...

System Restore...nah. There's gotta be another fix.

If you are not on a network, disable the Workstation service.

I do have a network set up...geez,

Any more suggestions?

I'm afaid there may not be much you can do. The workstation service installs the protocols required to set up and maintain the client network. Depending on the system, this can take a minute or so.

Thanks for the feedback...I have had my network set up for over 3 months and never had this problem before, only the last couple of days, so I don't understand how the Workstation service just decided to take more time to set up the network protocols:confused:

Ahhh - this is new. Then it isn't the service.

I'd look in msconfig and see if there's something new starting with the system. You can always uncheck everything in msconfig and reboot. If the system starts quickly you can start adding things back one at a time until the problem recurs and then you'll have identified the culprit.

Allan...Thanks,

I am a very tidy person...I have one item in the startup and that is Norton Anti-Virus.

Minimal Services....always watching for a new one to pop up;)

Anything else? Appreciate it:D

Gee, if it just started there are only so many things it can be:

1) A delay starting a service
2) A delay starting an app
3) Hardware issue
4) Need to defrag
5) Spyware or adware

Again, a selective startup may solve the problem. If after unselecting all the startup items (including services) the system boots normally then you'll know the hangup is with an app (a service). Then by adding them back one or two at a time you can identify the one causing the problem.

However, if a selective startup doesn't solve the problem you are possibly looking at a hardware problem (which might even be a driver conflict of some sort). This would be my last guess however.

Of course you could try a system restore to a point just before the problem started.

Originally posted by allan
Gee, if it just started there are only so many things it can be:

1) A delay starting a service
2) A delay starting an app
3) Hardware issue
4) Need to defrag
5) Spyware or adware

Again, a selective startup may solve the problem. If after unselecting all the startup items (including services) the system boots normally then you'll know the hangup is with an app (a service). Then by adding them back one or two at a time you can identify the one causing the problem.

However, if a selective startup doesn't solve the problem you are possibly looking at a hardware problem (which might even be a driver conflict of some sort). This would be my last guess however.

Of course you could try a system restore to a point just before the problem started.

yes Zodiac should try the defragmentation

same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. it turned out to the nimbda virus.

after a format, everything was fine! ;)

Thanks for all the input everyone....

Like I said "Very Tidy" I defrag every 2 days.

I have no spyware, trojans or viruses.

Only the few necessary services...

Now I am really starting to panic!!! I use Photoshop regularly and after I launched it last night...It runs so slooow...I'm really worried, never had this problem...

I mean using any tool:eek: It delays for about 5-10 seconds.

Even choosing a new layer...ouch...what the hell is happening here.

I guess I might just have to reformat...damnit!!!

maybe your PC is dying :eek: my old PC had the same thing..the processor turned into black coal
you can try Sisoftware Sandra..it's a benchmark tool..if everything goes ok then the problem is with the OS itself..if not..then buy a coffin for your PC.

Octopus...It's definitely not dying...lol

I just built it 3 months ago....

Specs:

Black Chenming 601 case w/full window
ASUS P4S533 Mobo
Intel P4 2.53 Ghz
512 MB Crucial PC 2700/333 DDR
WD 80GB/8MB cache
WD 120GB/2MB cache
ATI AIW 8500DV
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
Pioneer DVD-R/RW A04
Lite on 40x12x48 CD-RW
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Inspire 5300 Speakers
NEC Multisync LCD 17" Display

I'm thinking OS...Oh well....Time to Format;)

Forgot to mention...I've benched everything in Sandra with some pretty sweet results:D

when I lost my old PC ( 550MHZ+10G hd+64MB ram - a year ago) I was on the edge of death, if my current PC ( 1.5GHZ) dies..no doubt about it that I will folow it!

do formatting..I remember that you said that Quake increases your PC heat,I asked myself how does he know about this?is it a program, the answer was yes Zodiac is using a program to measure the heat......well Zodiac..those kind of programs CORRUPT your drivers and of course your chip's information,drivers etc are being corrupted...so I go with format!

Originally posted by Zodiaq

Specs:

Black Chenming 601 case w/full window
ASUS P4S533 Mobo
Intel P4 2.53 Ghz
512 MB Crucial PC 2700/333 DDR
WD 80GB/8MB cache
WD 120GB/2MB cache
ATI AIW 8500DV
Antec True Blue 480W PSU
Pioneer DVD-R/RW A04
Lite on 40x12x48 CD-RW
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Inspire 5300 Speakers
NEC Multisync LCD 17" Display

[offtopic]Hey, I am gonna buy such a system too next year, but then with a different videocard![/offtopic]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back