XP hanging

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I have reinstalled xp after a reformat. Now the programs take for ever to open .Even if i am burning a dvd @ 1 speed it takes about 4 mins to open outlook express, i had no problems like this before the reinstall. Even just typing in WORD you can have 3 words typed before it starts actually showing on the screen. Any info would really be helpful.

Make sure your Hard Drive and Dvd writer are set to DMA mode in device manager by doing the following..

Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.

Then click on Settings, then Control Panel.

Then double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.

Now click on the Hardware tab located at the top of the screen.

Then click on the Device Manager button in the center area of the screen.

Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand that section.

Then double click on the Primary IDE Channel to display the Primary IDE Properties window.

Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.

Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.

Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.

Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.

Then double click on the Secondary IDE Channel to display the Secondary IDE Properties window.

Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.

Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.

Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.

Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.

Then close Device Manager and the Control Panel to return back to your Windows session.

Was your system Ok before you reformatted?...or have you been inside your case tinkering recently?...Post back if still unresolved.

Thanks bony tony for the step by step instructions. I have done as you said ,the primary was already set correctly but the secondarys were set at p10. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. And the system was working ok before i reformatted. and i haven't been inside the box yet!!! But iwill in a few days when my new MOBO ,processor and memory arrive.
Again thanks for the help.

Bony Tony.
I have done what you said and the pc is a little faster but the problem still exists, i cannot think of anything to speed it up any more... I have defraged and all that stuff and run tweak XP but still no luck.Any other ideas.

Sorry for the delay...not recieving e-mail on replies:( .

Just to state the obvious have you installed the latest motherboard drivers Found here?.

Do what kevin says above with the ctrl-alt-delete buttons and reply back.

Also you can Disable Indexing Services by doing the following ..go to the Control Panel and click Add/Remove Programs. Click the Add/Remove Window Components. Simply unclick the Indexing services and click next.

Just to state what indexing service is [Indexing services is a small program that hogs HUGE amounts of RAM and can often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process indexing and updates lists of the files on your system, so you can search for them quickly, but it's completley unnessesary].

Can you also make sure your cpu and ram are showing up correctly in windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back