XP Firewall

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Is the XP Firewall reliable enough? I also have a hardware firewall on my Modem/Router.

Its of no real use to you. It can only block inbound communication requests and will let anything out. Since your behind a router inbound traffic is not an issue anyway. If you want control of what applications can access the Internet XP firewall is not enough at least until SP2 when outbound controls will be added.

Originally posted by Enyo
Its of no real use to you. ..until SP2 when outbound controls will be added.

and maybe a sandbox too if I can get in touch with anyone:rolleyes:

You have a bizarre obsession with sandboxing... and page-files :D

The outbound controll will probably be as crappy as the inbound ,, Try this - disconnect the router and hook directly up to the Internet. Now activate the firewall and go to www.grc.com and do the sheilds-up test. You will se just how useless the thing is .. I saw somwhere That M$ is partnering with Zone Labs to enhance the firewall within xp, how true this is I don't know, and how good it will be ?? we will have to wait and see ..

Originally posted by lechtard
The outbound controll will probably be as crappy as the inbound ,, Try this - disconnect the router and hook directly up to the Internet. Now activate the firewall and go to www.grc.com and do the sheilds-up test. You will se just how useless the thing is .. I saw somwhere That M$ is partnering with Zone Labs to enhance the firewall within xp, how true this is I don't know, and how good it will be ?? we will have to wait and see ..

You can obtain "Stealth" results with the XP firewall enabled without a router.;)

Originally posted by SnookBooger
You can obtain "Stealth" results with the XP firewall enabled without a router.;)

Indeed you do.

lechtard: Microsoft would not and can not include a fully featured firewall solution in Windows, the vendors who focus on security products for the end user this would sue them for doing so! It is intentionally basic but is better than nothing. There is nothing wrong with its inbound filtering capability's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back