XP firewall

frothymilkshake

OSNN Addict
What do I need to adjust in XP's firewall to be able to DCC send on mirc? Any protocals I need to enable?

OK if it won't work with XP firewall enabled, could you reccommend what I can do? Someone told me to use ZA instead. I don't know, I wanna try working around XP's firewall if I can but I need some good advise from you guys. Thanks.

any firewall, instead of the XP firewall should work, choose one.

I like Sygate Personal Firewall, but they all work just as well, really.

:cool:

hehe ok. Is the XP firewall not as good as some other firewalls like ZA? I am asking cos someone said he would never use the XP firewall. I am a newbie with XP. I used to use ZA on win98.

from tweakxp.com:

If you use mIRC and windows xp firewall, you have noticed that dcc send won't work. Here is how to get it working without disabling the entire firewall :

1. First you must limit the range of port that mirc use in the Dcc, Option menu. In DCC ports , set both at 1024.
2. After, go into control panel & network connections
2. Right click on your connection and select 'properties'
3. Left click the advanced tab
4. Left click the settings button
5. Under services, left click the add button
6. For description type "DCC", for Name of IP put the name that identifies your system with your ISP OR your IP if it is static.
7. Both external and internal ports are 1024 by default and TCP.
8. Click OK and restart

XP firewall is fine, only problem with it is that you can't do what your wanting to do (dcc send) with it being enabled. The major problem with the XP firewall is it works too good for it's own good.

Just use zonealarm

:cool:

Thank you IceMan and Dagnasty for the help provided. I followed the instructions Dagnasty posted and the DCC works fine now. I may one day decide to switch to ZA if the firewall proves to be much more troublesome. But thanks for the help. :) :) :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back