XP firewall in SP2

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
What is the comparison with the firewall in sp1 vs. sp2 in regards to p2p. I've heard its just as bad in sp2 as sp1. What do the experts here think?

it will be much easier to configure. it's a lot more like zonealarm and sygate and the like in that it asks you if you want to allow a specific program to have inbound ports opened up.

i think everyone should try it after upgrading to SP2. it should be a huge improvement.

personally, I will not use the SP2 firewall. It will still be flawed and not very
good. i'm staying with my hardware FW and honeypot. :)

tdinc said:
personally, I will not use the SP2 firewall. It will still be flawed and not very
good. i'm staying with my hardware FW and honeypot. :)
have you tried it? how can you know that it "will still be flawed"? can you see into the future?

i like hardware firewalls, they work well. but for the people that don't have them, i think this will be a fine solution. i can't see into the future either, but i think the xp firewall in sp2 will be an improvement because i have tried it, and they have made progress.

It would definitely have been nice to be able to use a firewall that's built-into the OS rather than using third-party software. Unfortunately, the only thing that will prevent me from using WF in SP2 is going to be the lack of outbound monitoring.
Since I'm already behind a NAT router, outbound monitoring is pretty much the only reason I use a software firewall. In any case, WF is still going to be a nice basic solution for people who need only inbound protection.

cpugeniusmv said:
have you tried it? how can you know that it "will still be flawed"? can you see into the future?

It's from Micro$oft isn't it?? :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back