XP firewall anygood?

R

Red Arrow

hmm, 1st post here, cool :D

Anyway I was just wondering if the XP built-in firewall does its job? Or would I be best sticking to Zone Alarm?

Note that I am using a 56k so I get a new IP everytime I connect plus I am only online for 2 hours at a time before I have to reconect. So the chances of being "inaveded" is low, I think.

If you are just using dial-up and don't leave your machine connected for long periods of time, I don't think you have much to worry about in terms of being invaded, especially with a dynamic IP.

One thing you may want a firewall for, though, is to make sure programs aren't running in the background and sending information out without you knowing. A good example of this is if you go to deviantart.com (great site :) ), they have a little box that pops up and being lazy, I didn't bother to read it and just clicked "I agree." Later that day I keep getting dialogs from my firewall (I use Tiny Personal Firewall www.tinysoftware.com) asking for outgoing permissions. I ended up actually reading what it was that I allowed to be installed, but I don't remember exactly what it was (redswoosh.exe I think) or what it was doing, but I know I didn't want it!

I haven't even tried the built-in firewall in XP, so I couldn't tell you if it does that.

Best sticking with NeoWatch from NEOWORX.COM (recently merged into McAfee) - Very good (best one I have tried (and that is out of many))

Download the full version from here

Install, Reboot, Set Security to "Tight"

Fin

Thx guys.

btw does NeoWatch intergrate itself into McAfee Virus Scan 6.1? Just I have that and it has a small section about firewalls installed in the program or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back