XP dual boot with 2000 Server, help?

J

joshuajme

Hi ppl, can install win 2000 server on a second partition even though ive installed xp on the first? and still choose between os's on boot or do you have to install 2000 server first? because i really cant be bothered to re install everything on xp again if it screws xp up. thanks...

they will play fine together, they are both NT based..... doesnt matter which is loaded first although i always like loading oldest to newest with anything, never had any conflicts that way:p

Should work just fine, had done the same thing before and was using XP primarily, but now i just use Windows 2k, i am sick of XP screwing up :).

well i aint sick of xp, i just need server running so i can try stuff as i go along as im doing an mcse. going to do it 2day so i will report back.

ok, i installed 2000 server on the other partition and was getting a choice on boot. but the pc wasnt booting into xp, only server. so i replaced ntdlr at root C: with my back up and now it works perfect. ty.

I've always been under the impression that XP has to be installed last, becuase of the way it buggers up.....ooops I mean installs it's MBR.
Could be wrong, never tried it with 2000. I duel boot with Linux and 98 (98 for just ONE piece of software, wonder if any of you music nuts know what i'm talking about hehehe)

Yeah i was under the same impression, but as win 2000 supports ntfs and pretty much everything else that xp does i thought it might work. all the manuals say that xp should be the last os you should install, backing up ntldr then replacing the new version after installing win 2000 did the trick.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Propellerheads Reason (or something else by Propellerheads?)

I use Reason under XP, runs very smoothly. No, I use ProTools under 98, I can't afford the updated, XP version.

Originally posted by gothic
I've always been under the impression that XP has to be installed last, becuase of the way it buggers up.....ooops I mean installs it's MBR.
Could be wrong, never tried it with 2000. I duel boot with Linux and 98 (98 for just ONE piece of software, wonder if any of you music nuts know what i'm talking about hehehe)

Windows 2000 == Windows XP

in most aspects

but windows xp is more like this

windows XP == (Windows 2000 + Windows 98 + Windows ME)

But yeah, 3rd's is Windows 2000.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back