XP doesnt detect burner

R

RrOoTs604

Hi,

My friend has a Compaq Presario 7947, and since she installed XP home, the burner doesnt work anymore. Windows just wont detect it. I tried to download patches from the windows update webpage, as well as the ASPI patch available here on this site. Nothing seems to get it working. I was wondering if anyone would know how to fix this, or which driver i should use? Is it possible to install a generic one?

thx
Jeff

What type of burner? Does Windows list it in "My Computer"? Do you have the jumpers set on the burner correct? I have a Philips 8x and Windows found it first time and I have no problem burning with Easy CD 5.0.

it was listed in win98, but when she installed win xp, it was just not there. on my own machine, my burner works perfectly in XP.

and on Compaq's website you cant find out which burner is installed in the machine.

phillips burners

do you know how to make xp recognize phillips burners as a burner (ya know, with the included burning support)?

see if the drive is listed in the device manager, if it is, select to uninstall it. Then reboot and windows should re-install the drive, see if that helps.

i'll check that, but if i remember right, it was not even listed there

I just got a new burner Philips 20x10x40 PCRW2010, Windows XP Home finds it but when I put in a CD it does not read it. I have uninstalled driver and let Windows find it again. When I ut in a CD-R it does not find that either. Please Help!!!!!!

When you open up your burning software (nero, ezcd, etc) does it detect the drive and allow you to burn? Lets just see if we can narrow it down to a XP only problem or if the problem effects all device dependant apps.

No it will not allow me to burn in a program. I can not even read a CD it that drive. But that same CD will read it the a DVD drive.

Then i'd try a re-install of the drive, also try switching it from slave to master, primary to secondary or vice versa if possible..I know it's a pain, but sometimes it works. but first try removing it from device manager and letting it re-install next reboot. You also might try removing that aspi patch just as a check.

I have tried to make it the Master Slave without the other CD-ROM drive installed and it still does nothing. I am thinking that I got a bad burner. I will be stopping by Best Buy on way home to try a new one.

I picked up a new burner last night on the way home. Put it in and it worked perfect. So the drive must have been a new defective drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back