XP-dite fixes serious Windows XP flaw

L

laptop

Windows XP has a very serious flaw that is fixed in SP1 (Service Pack 1).

If you havn't installed SP1 yet, have experienced SP1's sometimes nasty installation problems, or don't plan to install it for for some reason, Steve Gibson has produced a small utility that will protect your computer against the danger.

Here is his page describing the problem and the free utility....

http://grc.com/xpdite/xpdite.htm

It only takes about 5 seconds to take the download and it will also tell you if your XP system with a service pack is safe.
There is an option if you get a "dangerous file is present" message to fix it to a safe file. I myself am waiting for more
of the bugs to be worked out with the SP after the stories
I've been reading. I found this little message on both of my
computers after I took the download from grc.

5.gif

I would have posted this sooner, but I lost the URL to the forum here :(

well it also doesn't help when everybody had update to the new address and deleted their bookmark for here and turn around and need the bookmark. Well I'd here bout that problem and that the SP fixed and if for somereason folks haven't installed it then I heard bout the free utility, but couldn't post anything due to site problems and then I forgot about it. Again thanks for the info

Security Alert: XP File Deletion Cure Causes Problems

Last week, we described a serious Windows XP bug which allows a Web page or e-mail message to delete arbitrary files from your PC -- including ones that are necessary for proper operation. (Leo Laporte of TechTV demonstrates the hole here.) As we reported at that time, Microsoft did not at first admit to the hole but instead fixed it in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), burying the description of the bug in the list of fixes released with the service pack. (As Microsoft explains here, it does not intend to release a fix that is independent of the service pack.)

For more information

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back