XP Disk Management vs. Partition Magic 7

B

bmxjt

Can someone tell me the difference between the two? Does Partition Magic 7 really do a lot more than XP's Disk Management?

I have yet to use PM7 but I use XP DM a lot when configuring partitions.

Not having had much to do with XP's Windows management system, I can't really comment on that, but Partition Magic is a different kettle of fish!! I've used Partition Magic since about version 3.0, (it's at 7.0 at the moment) P.M. is what it says, a partition tool. It will resize, delete, move in fact do virtually anything you can imagine with a partition. It not only handles familiar filesystems like fat 16 / fat 32 but also linux / unix and i'm sure others as well.
Best thing since sliced bread.
BE WARNED tread warily! if used carelessly it can mean a complete low-level!!!

TOK:D

Partition Magic allows you to do many things you cannot do without a 3rd party tool, and all of them non-destructively (vs. Windows limitations). As for it screwing things up, I've never seen that happen - HOWEVER - I have seen users screw things up beyond repair with PM (no offense catch23). As with any disk manipulating utility, you must be very careful to understand what you are doing and follow all directions to the letter.

If they aren't "true partitions", what exactly are they?

And I'm sorry if my comment wasn't clear above - I was making the point that PM is a 3rd party tool which is why it can do things Windows native utility can't.

Partition Magic is the best disk management tool
there is, Period. And they are "true" partitions.

As it stands both are user driven...both can screw the computer up, main difference is partition magic can load before windows to do some things, can do some other things non-destructively, and alot of the good features of fdisk are command line driven which is daunting for alot of users.

Originally posted by catch23
The only limitations Windows has is not being able to mess with a drive or partition THAT'S IN USE. (Is that a bad thing?)
No it's a really good thing. You DON'T want to remove/move/resize/do-whatever-to a partition that someone is trying to read or write to at the same time. That could screw things up pretty bad. If P.M can do it it's probably because it "turns the partition off" before doing anything.

PM 7 works great , I have used it many times, however there was once that I had a problem and it distroyed all the data on my drive when I went to resize the 2 partitions. Luckily I had just made a backup with Drive Image a few days before but be warned, problems can happen so always backup you important data.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back