XP Crashing Problems

V

VT2K

I am having perpetual freeze-up problems with this computer I've built a couple of months ago. I've wiped and installed XP Pro several times, and the problems still come back. Here are my hardware specs:

Soyo Dragon Plus w/ Athlon XP 2000+
Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti500 w/ Detonator 28.32 drivers
512 DDR
Maxtor ATA-100 7200 RPM HD

The Dragon Plus comes with onboard NIC and CMedia sound.

I'm using all the latest 4 in 1 drivers the rest from Windows Update. Everything I'm using seems to have a digital signature except for the GF3.

I can usually keep my computer running for several days or over a week at a time without a problem. Then, out of nowhere, I'll hear this crackling sound or solid beep tone coming from the speakers and will have to reboot. Having to restart it is one thing, but I'd say about half the time some of the files on my HD will become corrupted and render the system unbootable or my local profile will become corrupted.

I've been having another problem, which, I'm not sure is related to the aformentioned problem, but when I disable the onboard sound and try to install this SB Live! Value card, XP will boot up, recognize the card, and then immediately freeze when another pop up bubble says it has detected a "PCI input device". I don't have a problem with the onboard sound, but thought I this would be a good way to see if it was the CMedia drivers which were bringing me down.

I have run a couple of memory tests and it passed each one. The type of memory I have isn't listed on Soyo's site as recommended, but if it passes the memory tests could this still be the problem?

I've had problems with Maxtor drives in the past, so maybe it could be that too?

Now I've heard that Dragon + mobos have some conflicts with GF3 cards.

Argh...where do I start?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. make sure you have the latest bios for your mobo

2. update to all the latest drivers, if necessary

3. make sure your hardware is seated correctly in every slot

4. if all else fails, reformat. perhaps there was an error when installing the OS.

Heya I had the same problem. I changed my motherboard and it works wonderful now.

I agree it seems to me that it's a motherboard problem I have come across this problem numerous times where a computer frezzes up for appearently no reson even after a few reformats and even different os's and it turned out to be the motherboard,i suggest asus boards there fast and reliable.

good luck:)

I was having the same problem. Thanks to MiseryQ, I checked my bios version. There had been 2 updates since. I updated 2 days ago. No freezes yet. *fingers crossed*. It was freezing 2 to 3 times a day, every day before I updated. Check you mobo manufacturers web site and see what bios version is current.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back