XP crash-Freeze

G

GabrielR

Hi all, as a newbie I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have a 1.3 Athlon, 512MB Ram that had Win Me. I bought XP Home Upgrade and did a complete clean install. (I had my Win ME disk handy) no SP-1 yet. No other software other than XP itself. (signed MSN through XP ).

I have been Xperiencing repetitive crashes when I try to sign up for my internet connection. I am able to end the non-responsive program, which is MSN but if I try again, I get the same results. The event log says something about filled pipelines or something (I'm in the office).

If I try to check on the Status in the Start menu, then XP itself crashes!! No response at all, not even with the Ctrl atl Del . The only way out is turning off the machine. I have to do this several times until I am able to connect to the Internet. Disabling the AppMgmt Service has not had any result.

Will SP-1 simply resolve my issues? Why is it happening if I have nothing installed on my machine, nothing at all other than XP itself?

Thanks for the any response, even a link would be appreciated.

Make sure u are using the latest drivers for ur hardware.

On the vid card u want to use the driver from the company instead of the MS ones.

But without knowing the error codes I have no idea really what is causing your crashes.

post them when u get them

cool.gif

Thanks. I'll be posting from home in the afternoon (if I manage to get in :eek: )

I think I probably experience the same symptoms this time last year as you describe.
I removed messenger and also used the Windows supplied modem driver , having installed a lucent driver that was rated as supporting Windows XP but the driver was not digitally signed by MSoft.
This righted the permanent lock on the start menu after reboot and on the log in to the internet.
The modem would show only the communication speed between it and the pc (115000) instead of 40-50 kbps as normal , being a telltale indication that the driver was at fault.

May be Ive got the completely wrong scenario, but let us know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back