xp corporate: sharing problem

B

blitzen

I have no problem accomplishing the following on NT or 2000 pro., but XP?

Here we go: when I leave simple file sharing and switch to classic I loose the ability to access the shared drives on that computer from another peer. All accounts are set up as w2k pro or NT. Permissions granted to the account. Administrator members. Is there a setting I am missing?? The drives are FAT32.

Without simple file sharing, you have to authenticate to the XP machine to access shares. This means that a user on a 9x box must have an account named identically to their 9x username, and then they must enter the password to the xp account when prompted. 2K/XP offers you the ability to connect with any username, so they don't need to be named the same, necessarily.
/L.A

No. The accounts passwords and usernames are all set up correctly. It only happens on the xp machine using the "classic" sharing, and "everyone" removed. All is the same as the 2k machine and it handles fine. The 2k machine everyone is removed from the share, users (peers) "authenticate" to it.

Make sure you have NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP in XP. That's about the only thing I can think of offhand.
/L.A

you need to edit your policies. go to control panel/ administrative tools/ local security policy. in the left hand side expand local policies and click user rights assignment. the policy you want to edit is called access this computer from the network. also verify that server and workstation services are started. you can do this from computer maneagement/services. also check computer management/ local users and groups/groups and see if those users are added to remote desktop users. hope that helps

thanks lactic and Todd.

Lactic: What do you mean exactly by "over". Before, on top of?

Thanks

Todd: yea, it looks like a setting problem. Something that is either enabled initially in w2k or not in there at all.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP = on TCP/IP = through TCP/IP etc. etc. I don't usually go and check the exact wording of these things =) I'd never get any posts posted if I did!
/L.A

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back