XP can not boot, Corrupt HAL.DLL Recovery console doesn't see my SATA drive

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
O.K. I had a problem with over tweaking my Mem and XP didn't fully boot. I had to hit the reset button and when it tried to reboot it gave me the "<windows root>system32\hal.dll corrupted or missing. reinstall file..." blah blah blah. So I boot to my XP CD and go into Recovery console but it says that there are no drives or windows installation.

I have an Asus A8V deluxe MoBo and using the VIA SATA RAID controller for my Seagate 320 GB SATA HDD. Do I have to install/reinstall the third party RAID drivers that Windows asks for when the XP CD first starts? Are those the drivers on the MoBo CD?

Help please.

I've been reading that you need to do the F6 and use a floppy to install the RAID SATA drivers. Can anyone explain how and what needs to be on this floppy?

not sure if its this driver? is yours the VT8237 South Bridge ?
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=5&ArticleID=93

Note* To create the driver disk for Windows installation, you need to copy the contents of the folder named DriverDisk from the zip file, but not the folder itself - just the contents.
personally i slipstream the massstorage driverpacks as textmode into my xp disk, you can use dpsbase or nlite etc, then no need for f6 or messing with floppies ;]

This should fix it Gonaads

http://www.short-media.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

From C root (in recovery console)

C:ATTRIB -H C:\\BOOT.INI
C:ATTRIB -R C:\\BOOT.INI
C:ATTRIB -S C:\\BOOT.INI

Now, delete it

Del BOOT.INI
Then you basically rebuild the boot.ini BOOTCFG /REBUILD

But it's all very descriptive with screenshot goodness on this little resource I found. (Link above)

- Shakes.

Well I don't have anywhere to slip stream a CD with the drivers included and three machines I have tried to use to make the floppy with the drivers have I/O errors with the floppy drive. What are the odds of having three machines with bad floppy drives? But then again these floppy drives haven't been used in a gazillion years. :s I have one more machine I am gonna try this weekend. I need to install the SATA/RAID drivers at the F6 before I can get the Recovery Console to recognize my HDD. I hope, otherwise it's off to the computer shop with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back