XP benefits

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Just started compiling a list of features introduced with XP that might be beneficial from either a management or IT perspective in a business environment.

What I've got so far:
USB 2.0 support
Driver availability
Administrative access - running programs as Admin while limited user is still logged in (also available in Win2000)
Fewer reboots - when installing apps or making administrative changes
Performance - handles memory better... what else?
System Restore
Remote Desktop

What am I missing?

I actually think Security Center is kind of a pain in a business environment. With hardware firewalls and enterprise level AV, amongst other things, I wish it would come disabled in the XP Pro version.

Mine is disabled when I install it. Check out MSFN's unattended site.

Limited accounts. Install restriction. No Kazza or Bearshare at work.

I almost got into a fist fight with a girl who considered the recieving computer hers, and thereby the music she had downloaded and all the games hers too. On the company net' on their computer. I was send down to the mans other place to clean it up.

Limited accounts were passed around like candy at Christmas time.

They all now hate me, and Sarah refuses to speak to me but that is just tough ****.

Yeah, XP implemented more User Rights policies, but they have always existed in NT-based operating systems.

Alot of us were upgrading from 9x based systems.

Definitely some huge benefits in that case.

In addition to better memory handling, I'd say better multitasking since the OS is more stable.
Also, larger memory support.

True, multitasking is a positive result of better memory handling.

Mixed opinions on this one definitely.... but Networking setup is much easier than 9x based Windows and possibly 2k.

network printer support. try getting a printer installed on win 9x if there is no share for it. if it is just an IP printer.. It was fun figuring that out.

celticfan11 said:
network printer support. try getting a printer installed on win 9x if there is no share for it. if it is just an IP printer.. It was fun figuring that out.

Again, this was implemented in all NT-based operating systems. It's relatively easy to do in NT 4, but better in XP.

the_music_man said:
i didn't know windows 2000 couldn't support usb 2.0 hm

It couldn't originally because USB 2.0 didn't exist at the time. ;) I believe SP 4 added that feature.

windows xp didnt support usb 2.0 u had to install separate drivers from the manufacturer until sp1 i believe

Something I didn't list that nobody has mentioned yet. SP2 of XP adds a Time Synchronization tab in the Date/Time Properties, allowing you to set the client to synch its time with a number of time servers around the U.S.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back