XP Background CPU Usage

S

supercrosser

I have noticed a very strange(high) amount of CPU usage during idle time in XP-Home. Is this the index service running? It only runs if the system is idle for more than a few minutes. If i move my mouse, it stops. I can see the HD LED just flying away while this task(whatever it is), is going about it function. I eliminated the obvious, Norton AV, Network connections, Etc. . IF i am real careful, I can bring up Task Manager, put it on processes, and see "SVCHost,a 12 meg task" running the CPU at about 40 to 60 %. ONLY during idle time(mousewise). Any clues????? :confused:

HMMMM....

You say XP does a partial defrag ever 3 days? Even if the file system is set as NTFS? If thats, so then it makes sense to me whats happening because I just purchased a new HD 3 days ago and instead of cloning, I did a virgin XP install and just kept my old "c" drive in as "d" to copy the files i wanted, then i removed it. So last night and today would be 3 days. If it(defrag) gets interrupted by system usage or app usage, then all its trying to do is finish what it started. I'm just guessing all this, of course!;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back