XP and Vista system temperature comparison

Tweakfiend

OSNN Senior Addict
I dont know if anyone else has had the same experience.

I run XP / Vista Ultimate on dual boot on an AMD 4800 x2, 4 h/ds 5 fans etc, 550w psu, and system consistently operates @approx 43 to 45 C on XP and 32 C on Vista with similar apps running. Had overclocked some time ago but found it corrupted the file system, so running on standard spec.

I could be mistaken, but I doubt the system is running that much cooler under Vista. It is likely an incompatibility with the software you are using to monitor the hardware.

Unlikely ..... 2 sources : Abit Uguru clock and Pertelian hardware display the same reading

Similar applications running?

I have the EXACT same applications running on Vista that I run on XP and temps are the same. I think something you have running on XP is not running on Vista.

Or more likely the fans are running full speed on Vista. Many people have been compalining the "cool n quiet" functions aren't working on their Vista install yet.

Thank for the comment
The onboard Uguru sensor seems to work but the Abit software which shows on load up seems to be incompatible.
Surely if cool n quiet is not working in Vista this would result in a higher temp anyway?

What are the RPM of your fans in XP compared to Vista?

Thank for the comment
The onboard Uguru sensor seems to work but the Abit software which shows on load up seems to be incompatible.
Surely if cool n quiet is not working in Vista this would result in a higher temp anyway?

if cool n quite isnt working i believe the cpu fan would spin at 100% all the time, resulting in cooler temps. cool n quiet throttels the cpu fan speed down when not needed.

What are the RPM of your fans in XP compared to Vista?

Software running is pretty well identical

Vista Fan revs
CPU 1980 (temp 32c), AUX 1:2880 , AUX 2 :2100 ,System : 2340

XP Fan revs
CPU :2400 (temp 45 c) AUX 1 :2880 , AUX 2:2100 , System : 2340

Both only with internet running only.
Doesnt seem to bear out any cooln quiet theory.(?!)

Temps as I said born out from Pertelian ( using "Speedfan" plug in ) and Uguru and identical .

Vista is more than likely scaling the cpu speed back while idle or when not using 100% of the cpu. Basically Cool n Quiet, but not specifically called that. If you go to the control panel and then to power management and click advanced. Scroll down for something related to CPU (apologies for a vague description, I'm not at my vista computer atm), and it should show a min and a max %. If your min is set to anything besides 100% then vista is lowering your clock speed to that % while idle/low load.

Vista is more than likely scaling the cpu speed back while idle or when not using 100% of the cpu. Basically Cool n Quiet, but not specifically called that. If you go to the control panel and then to power management and click advanced. Scroll down for something related to CPU (apologies for a vague description, I'm not at my vista computer atm), and it should show a min and a max %. If your min is set to anything besides 100% then vista is lowering your clock speed to that % while idle/low load.

Min = 5% max =50% ....due to power plan ="power saver" resetting the system presumably.
This setting shows as giving the max energy savings.
Seems to keep low CPU rpm and temp so not a bad thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back