XP and Secondary IDE

• Thread starter RedhouseJohnJoh
  • Start date
R

RedhouseJohnJoh

Why does xp not recognise anything on my secondary IDE yet other op's do??????...it also only recognises my geforce 2 as being 16m instead of 64m

Asus A7V
512 Mb Ram
1G T/B
Sony CD-Rom
Sony CD-Writer

Hard drive connected to raid 1
CD-Rom connected to raid 2
CD-Writer connected to primary master
Nothing connected to secondary master as xp won't pick anything up on this....have also tried latest drivers for my geforce

Any help appreciated
Thanx Johnjohn

Does your motherboard recognize anything on the second IDE channel when it's connected to it? Is it enabled in your bios?

Do you have your aperature size (64mb) set correctly for your Geforce in the bios? Do you have the correct interface type selected in your bios (agp or pci)?

Have you flashed your m/b bios to it's newest revision?

Bios set correctly....it works fine in other os's, just not in xp

I had the same board and the same problem with 2000, it's all down to the BIOS. Go to the ASUS website, download live update, sit back and watch it do its stuff. Problem solved.

Asus Live Update

Sorry mate but have you got the web address, can't seem to find the live update on their site

Cheers JohnJohn

XP

Cheers mate...downloading it now, but could you tell me what it does...does it flash the bios for you or do you have to do it manually....last time I flashed the bios, the computer hung and I had to buy a new motherboard....

Cheers JohnJohn

P.S. and does this resolve problems with the secondary ide on win xp?

You'll have to flash your own bios. Just make sure you read up on it. I can understand feeling intimidated by it once you've scorched one, but it's a necessary evil at times.

No No NO !!!!

The first time I used this I nearly died of shock !

Now, normally flashing your bios is a heart stopping moment with much ritualistic going into dos, making boot disks etc.

No More !

just run the program, it goes on the net, checks for the latest bios, downloads it and then flashes your BIOS FROM WINDOWS !!!

one reboot later and all is well.

Originally posted by Bytes back
No No NO !!!!

The first time I used this I nearly died of shock !

Now, normally flashing your bios is a heart stopping moment with much ritualistic going into dos, making boot disks etc.

No More !

just run the program, it goes on the net, checks for the latest bios, downloads it and then flashes your BIOS FROM WINDOWS !!!

one reboot later and all is well.
Really!?? I always thought that was anethema. Hmmm, very interesting. Does it stop all the services and what-not in the background in case something decides it needs more resources then the flashing that's taking place??? I think i'll stick to the old fashioned way myself... at least if I screw it up, there's no one to blame but me.

I honestly couldn't tell you what it stops. I was just looking for the Bios update one evening, saw live update and thought that sounds interesting.

Dounloaded and ran it, I thought thats handy it's getting the Bios for me. saves me cocking it up and getting the wrong one !

Then it flashed it !! chin hit the floor !!

Offered up a quick prayer to God,Allah,and anyone else I could think and rebooted.

Gothic is now using that motherboard.

I like the idea, but man... I hate flashing my bios and I'm pretty experienced at it. I'd use it no doubt, but i'd be sweatin bullets if something jumped up on my screen saying it's flashing my bios and i had umpteen applications running in the background. Like anything else i guess... follow the instructions and all should be well.

Cheers

Thanx very much mate...flashed the bios automatically and hey presto it done everything by itself...went into new bios and the only thing I don't understand is now I have an option for
operating frequency setting.....it says either 550 or manual....this wasn't in my other bios...cpu is set at 1000 and operating frequency at 550 ( what does that mean ) apart from that the only thing different is that it seems to take longer to detect stuff on my raid...now I'll try installing XP and see if that has sorted my secondary ide problems out

Thanx again mate

P.S Sorry but there are differences in the bios , some I don't understand...anywhere I can find out what these mean?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back