XP and 98 ICS

DFX

OSNN Senior Addict
My computer is running XP pro, and the network (ics) is running fine on every other computer (2 xp, 1 me). The one computer which is on 98 isn't loading certain websites (abbey national, nationwide...) but bbc opens fine. also, the email is working fine. is there a simple answer to this?

To be honest, ICS really sux :p

It makes hard work of something that should be easy, i have found if you connect to the internet with the host (XP), then do ICS, make a floppy, and bang that in the client (98), somehow makes it work correctly.

Or just use this, its free and is 10x better than ICS.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Yea, its better to use some 3rd party software, its free, more secure, and more efficient, what more could you ask?

Skazz

Cheers guys. Analog X make some quality apps, so I trust this. Is there any more advanced ones... for me to use when I get the hang of it? At some point I want to start limiting people's internet :D

:D

...right, i think i understand what ive got to do... will the existing connections (xp and me) still work or do i need to set those up on the proxy aswell?

this software by Analog X allows file sharing and printers like ics?

yes the other machines will need setting up for using the proxy - its annoying at first having to do all the work - its really easy after you get used to it - but analogx make software thats easy to use, so you should be ok - but read the screen when it says "the proxy is running in OPEN state" cuz you dont want that tbh.

file and printer sharing is not done by ICS - you can do that by just linking them up in a network

ICS is exactly what its called... Internet Connection Sharing - nothing more, nothing less

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back