xp 3000+ or xp 3200+?

Shrek

Kenya believe it...
Is it worth getting a amd athlon xp 3200+ so I have a processor with 400 mhz fsb, or get a xp 3000+ with 333mhz fsb and save quite a bit money aswell? Is there much performance difference between 400 and 333 mhz FSB athlon xp's?

depending on what your doing, there may be significant speed increases. but if your playing solitate,.. dont count on it! :D ya know?

If you're going to use DDR400 memory modules then 400MHz FSB would make more sense.

Everything that's not included in the CPU have to go through the FSB to reach the CPU.

You might want to take a look at some benchmarks before you decide.

if you're playing the lastest games or doing heavy workstation-type work on your comp, then the extra fsb would help a little.

or just get the 3000+ and oc the fsb and tweak the multiplier and get something like a 3400+ easily. :D

For what you would spend for a 3200, you could buy a Barton 2500, the best mobo you could buy (Gigabyte 7NNXP), and a decent heatsink, and just overclock your Barton...That's what I've done, and I can only tell the REAL difference in my wallet...

System Specs
http://ayhja.tripod.com/tpos/id1.html

Originally posted by Goatman
The best mobo you can buy is not a Gigabyte....

Very true ..

Is it worth getting a amd athlon xp 3200+ so I have a processor with 400 mhz fsb, or get a xp 3000+ with 333mhz fsb and save quite a bit money aswell? Is there much performance difference between 400 and 333 mhz FSB athlon xp's?

You should go with the latest if you have resources ..
The difference is not so much as can be thought but you'll regret later the FSB - 400 ..

Gigabyte mobos tends to be rich in features though. But you cant really say any particular mobo is the best since they all offer different things and some parts are better than others.

it should be correct .. coming with some arguments [ comparision ]

I would get a P4C @ 3.0GHz at 800FSB and enjoy stability :p

Originally posted by j79zlr
That wasn't one of the choices :confused:

I elect that you get whatever is most cost effective for you. If money is not a consideration, go for the gold (ESPECIALLY if you OC! That 400MHz bus...wow). :D If cost is a problem, the 3000 is way cheaper and nearly as good.

Originally posted by j79zlr
or get a 400fsb barton and enjoy stability as well...? :rolleyes:

So...If Gigabyte doesn't make the best Mobo...Then I may have gotten robbed...Anybody got a Mobo with a feature that my Gigabyte doesn't have..? What kind of board do you have, Goatman..?

Gigabyte is rich in feature as mentioned before, but it's not the best - in terms of performance according to tests carried out a while ago.

I'm sticking with Gigabyte though since minute performance advantages from other mobo manufacturers isn't a big issue.

Originally posted by AYHJA
What kind of board do you have, Goatman..?

nForce2.0 board, very stable and feature rich indeed. Its in his sig

I haven't seen any tests on the 7NNXP that I have that haven't been raves...I did see one article where this guy must have gotten a bad chip, but my Gigabyte runs my Barton 2500 at 2.2GHz and a 400 fsb without breaking a sweat...I don't even have to change voltages to get it to go that fast, and my temps are around 32 degrees, idle...Full load, Maybe 38 degrees...That's a pretty good performance tilt...And considering that I didn't mess with any voltages, I have no idea what the roof is...The board I had before I got this Gigabyte was a Abit AT7 Max2, and it can't hold a candle to the 7NNXP...To me, saying Gigabyte isn't the best board available right now is like saying Michael Jordan isn't the greatest player of all time...

my Gigabyte runs my Barton 2500 at 2.2GHz and a 400 fsb without breaking a sweat...I don't even have to change voltages to get it to go that fast, and my temps are around 32 degrees, idle...Full load, Maybe 38 degrees...That's a pretty good performance tilt...And considering that I didn't mess with any voltages, I have no idea what the roof is...
none of those numbers credit the board at all. those values are purely dependent on the cpu and what it can attain.

what i mean is all nforce2 ultra 400 (2.0) boards can support the 400fsb. and the multiplier? that doesn't affect the board at all--just the core speed of the processor.

?

Maybe those numbers aren't in favor of the board, but luckily, I can comment on my own experience...I had an Abit AT7 Max2 right before I got this board, and whatever bearing the chipset may have had on it, it never even considered going above 171 MHz...Now, with the same chip, and a different board, I rolled on the 200fsb, and you mean to tell me the board had nothing to do with it..? If the board doesn't have anything to do with it, what does the chip have to do with it..?

Re: ?

Maybe those numbers aren't in favor of the board, but luckily, I can comment on my own experience...I had an Abit AT7 Max2 right before I got this board, and whatever bearing the chipset may have had on it, it never even considered going above 171 MHz...Now, with the same chip, and a different board, I rolled on the 200fsb, and you mean to tell me the board had nothing to do with it..? If the board doesn't have anything to do with it, what does the chip have to do with it..?
the at7-max2 is a kt400 chipset which is totally different from the nforce2. the kt400 chipset doesn't support a 200fsb.

my point is any nforce2 ultra 400 board can do what you did. that's all.

How does that saying go..?

Dude, the proof is in the pudding....Check out this article...

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=492&dPage=19

And tell me how much of their decision had to do with the chips that they had in the boards...Every board with the Nvidia chipset CANNOT hit 200MHz on the FSB without changing voltages...I mean, the max in that article for my 7NNXP is 252MHz...The closest board to it was the Epox, and it only got to 218MHz...There was a board or two that didn't even make the 200FSB, and they all ran the same chipset...Bottom line, pound for pound, Gigabyte has the tightest board out...Upgrade...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back