XP 1800+ and temps ?

Howling Wolf

We did not deserve this !
Hi, all !

According to Asus Probe and Bios, my cpu reaches 60°c after less than an hour browsing the net ? Is this normal ? We could say the pc is almost idle, no ? Room temp is 25-26°c.

About Asus boards temp reading: how should we interpret them ? Some say real temp is 4-5°c below what's displayed... true ?
Does anyone know more about this ?

Still according to Asus Probe, the PSU +12v is at 13,248v, not good, isn't it ?

Thanx for any answer !

I highly suggest that you will download and use CPUIDLE 5.9
it will lower your temps alot when not on full load.

CPUIDLE doesn't actually do anything =P

What its actually doing is reducing the amount of cpu cycles the CPU can do of course reducing your temp but also reducing ur performance. How do i know this?

I run Folding@Home... (and also used to do Distributed.Net). I had a look in my System Manager to see how much processes are being used and CPU IDLE was taking up 50% of system resources so of course this would lower my temp seeing as i'm only using 50% of my cpu, i'm not doing as many calculations as i normally would be for F@H.

I did a benchmark using DNET to see how many keys i can crunch while running CPU IDLE and of course this was reduced by half.

Sure... it reduces your temp but you effectively made your Athlon into a Pentium 4... and we so want that =P

Your HSF shouldn't look anything like this:
ACC8490.gif

Using a HSF like this is like running your car with half a quart of oil. It will last for a short time but then it is going to overheat and you'll be SOL.

It should look similar to one of these:

ACC8778.gif

Volcano 6 (~ $30 US)

ACC8956.gif

Volcano 7 (~ $35 US)

ACC8966.gif

Swift Tech Socket A fan (~$80 US)

Just so you have an idea of the size of the Volcano 7 and the Swift Tech HSF. The fans are about the same diameter of a baseball. They are both 80mm fans. A baseball is about 77mm.

my xp 1800 is 40-42 c at full oad when playing games like warcraft3..
at idle it's 33-36c
thats with the stock fan
:)
my room temp is around 22
in the morning around 10-14c lol
my cpu then is 20c
:)

Originally posted by Ice-Freezer
my xp 1800 is 40-42 c at full oad when playing games like warcraft3..

Running Warcraft III does not make your system run at full load =P War 3 is graphics intensive and not very cpu intensive =P

You want full load??? run Folding@Home or Distributed.NET or any of those projects that are using your spare cpu cycles.

I run at about 49 degrees at full load.

I don't know what my idle temp is... i've never seen my computer idle =P

My heatsink looks like this...
main.jpg

with this:
sm_zz_fanadaptor.jpg

connected to this:
extremepcgear_1694_616079

=)

Like where can i get a program to monitor the heat of my cpu? it's supported by the motherboard, but now i can only monitor it when going into biossetup when the POSTscreen is on, also can you help me overclock this one...1.3 ghz is not enough 4 me..:p

I just ordered a new HSF, Thermaltake's Dragon Orb 3, I hope it will lower the temps !...

Tell me if right or wrong, please !

Originally posted by G-Lizard86
Like where can i get a program to monitor the heat of my cpu? it's supported by the motherboard, but now i can only monitor it when going into biossetup when the POSTscreen is on, also can you help me overclock this one...1.3 ghz is not enough 4 me..:p

nice little program to monitor CPU temp

MBM

late

as far as the overclock issue, no help here from me, Iceman38 does not overclock, you want a faster cpu, buy it.

:cool:

AHH! NO! Cancel that order...orbs are useless...you're better off with the retail heatsink! Try lowering the ambient temperature of the room. And look into the Volcano line of processors...they're a good value.

with my Athlon XP 1600 I run 44 C idle and at full load it run 49 C all using the volcano 7. It cost $16 only 1 week ago. Before that I was using a volcano 5 and idle was at 51 C and full load could hit 62 C. That was bad.

Dude, that flower cooler is shady...I wouldn't use anything w/o a fan on it....

I wouldn't use it anyway. I read somewhere that it's so heavy that it might break some CPUs, don't know which ones though and I don't know if it's true either but it might be.

You do need to use a Alum shim but the fan floats above it by using longer screws in the agp and pci 1&2 slot holders

Temps are as follows.

FAN MATE at Minimum: IDLE - 42.5 C
LOAD - 47.4 C

FAN MATE at Maximum: IDLE - 37.6 C
LOAD - 43.8 C

Using bog standard thermal paste but have just ordered some artic silver.

catch23,

I live in NW Washington and that is the prices they are going for. High or not. I wont buy anything from the internet because there is such a great risk of getting defective product.

asus reported temperatures are higher than actual temperature. asus is pessamistic while on the otherhand abit is optimistioc. asus is actually cooler than it says it is and abit is hotter than it says it is.i have a temperature diode, extremely thin on the die of my processor. asus says it is 43C while my diode says it is 31C. i trust the diode as i have tested it many times. i put it in a fridge with 4 thermometors. they all read the same temp. i then put it in hot water with all 4 thermometors reading the same temp s well so i kno its accurate

get compunurse on ebay for $10bucks. its the best money i ever spent

Yo Catch..can you help me overclock...i'm a bit confused today...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back