XFX 6600GT with 350W power supply?

yogiB

OSNN Newbie
I'm about to purchase an XFX 6600GT card. However, I'm a bit concerned with my 350W power supply. Will 350W be enough power to drive my system once the card is installed. Do they recommend more power?

My system:
Processor: Intel 3.6Ghz
Mobo: Intel D915GAV
HDD: 120GB Maxtor
Others: Plextor CD-RW, Pioneer DVD-Rom.

Please advise ASAP whether I should go for a larger power supply, say, 400-450W.

Thanks.

Jack it. Read several forums out there, and some peeps having trouble with 300, 350 watt power supplies. I say go as high as your budget will. 450, 500.

Thanks.

About how much ($) is a good 450W or 500W power supply in the U.S.?

fyi, i had a 350w psu, with my evga 6800, and pretty much the same setup as you and it ran fine. But why risk a crash, more power the better.

Yogi, we do get paid for endorsing Newegg. People are happy when they get a good price and good service so they click the little scales on the left of our posts.

;)

I agree, LeeJend, Antec's are the best I've run into. I've been running a true430 for over a year. I have 2 optical drives, 2 HD's, and a Radeon 9800 pro. I also use various USB devices (as many as 3 at once) and this thing has never so much as hiccupped.

as a side option to all the Antec hub-bub. i'd recommend you also look into Ultra X-Connect modular power supplies. think you can pick up a 500w one now for like $70US. quite good power supplies too. removable power cables, so u only use ones that you need, and you dont wind up with a birds nest of wires somewhere in your case. People have said the wires are somewhat stiff.... but i think they've been improved since then. mine are just fine. easily able to get where they need to be. plus... they're shiny. :) here's a link to a review thread started by TittleBitties. has pics from both his case, and i posted mine (pic's not that good from mine though. took the pic with my cell phone). might try to rearrange my wires too to make it look a bit more neat. Overall they're nice power supplies. quite quiet too.

http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53008

edit: correction.... you can get their limited edition green shiny power supply for $70. most of the other's i think cost around $100. when i got mine, they had a mail in rebate. Here's the TigerDirect page with the green one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1028627&Sku=ULT31588

When I didn't see any of the critical spec's in the tiger add I went to the Ultra web site looking for the reliability, hold up time and efficiency numbers. There weren't any there either.

I would not connect an Ultra to my PC with a 10 foot insulated pole.

Click the link at the bottom of the tiger add and read up on what to look for in power supply spec's. A lot of what they talk about isn't even listed for Ultra brand. That's a clear signal to stay away. If it's not listed the company is ashamed of it.

PS Enermax is good too but last I checked Antec was cheaper.

i couldn't find the link you were talking about in the tiger direct ad. what info are you looking for exactly? maybe i could find it for ya?

i have to say though that the x-connect is very purty... ")

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back