Xfree86 in VMWare?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Has anyone got X working through VMWare?
I'm messing around with FreeBSD through it, it has installed and is working fine, all except X, probably because I'm not really sure what options to set.
Like what "card" does VMWare tell the guest o/s that it has etc.

I've had X run beautifully well under VMware 3.2 (using Slackware, Debian, Redhat abd Lycoris)
Haven't got around to installing FreeBSD yet, but you could check this page out:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_guestos31.html

I'm sure X should work if it did with other linux distros.
G'luck, and lemme kno how it goes... just for future reference ;)

w00t!
# mount /cdrom
# cp /cdrom/vmware-freebsd-tools.tar.gz /tmp
# umount /cdrom
# cd /tmp
# tar zxf vmware-freebsd-tools.tar.gz
# cd vmware-freebsd-tools
# ./install.pl

I'd gathered that the tools needed to be used, I just didnt realise that under FreeBSD they needed to be mounted. All is well now, and I got window maker \o/

Speedy_B your looking at something i am gonna call my NEW home soon !!!

FreeBSD + Window Maker should be everyone's home :) (or /home/ :p)
At the moment grabbing these packages (make'ing X-Chat at the moment) takes its toll on a 56k, I think when I get DSL in june, I will use BSD more. I don't think it will replace windows as my main o/s though, possibly with time. :)

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
FreeBSD + Window Maker should be everyone's home :) (or /home/ :p)
At the moment grabbing these packages (make'ing X-Chat at the moment) takes its toll on a 56k, I think when I get DSL in june, I will use BSD more. I don't think it will replace windows as my main o/s though, possibly with time. :)

its slowly gonna take mine over, that is why i said its gonna be my new home.

whats freeBSD like?

i am running suse 8.1 now only because it would have taken me a week to dl freeBSD.

is it worth waiting for the slow ass download? does it come with X and a gui?

but most importantly will it make me feel all warm and fuzzy after a long day of windows?

:D
thanks.

It depends what you're used to, BSD unix, while similar to linux, is also different in so many ways.
If you're using SuSe, I gather that you're using either KDE or Gnome? these are both available to FreeBSD so in theory once everything is setup, you should feel right at home :)

I honestly think that if you're happy with SuSe now, then by all means stick with it, if you want to try BSD for the experience and to learn a new platform, then give it a go.
As for the download, there are places on the net who will send burned cd-r's out to you for a very small charge (I've found them for as little as £2 here in the UK!) or you can head over to the FreeBSD Mall and pick up a copy of FreeBSD 5.0 for $39.95 (4 cd's)

FreeBSD is more organized and everything can be found in a set place, in Linux you can find config files all over, in BSD they are mainly in /usr/local/etc/ or /etc/

So basically it makes your life easy.

I generally also like BSD cause of its ports tree, lets pick another app to compile and install for me to use =).

The ports tree is the most amazing feature in any operating system ever! Its pure genius :D They really couldn't have made that any easier and inventive than it is, its a great help for newbies and an excellent resource for the more advanced user.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back