[XBOX] Modding the HD

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
I was just wandering, am i able to throw in any size of HD into my xbox, or is there a limit to how much the xbox can 'see' im wanting to get quite a few soundtracks installed. :confused:

Your best bed is to see what places like whitedog.co.uk are selling - I doubt they would even try and sell a HDD that will exceed what the xbox can read.

i think the there is a limit of like 200gb or somethin not sure has been awhile since i last read about it. but yeah xbox-scene is good

first make sure your xbox is modded.. second.. if you have an older bios then it will limit to 137. but 120gig should be plenty :) if you want to use it for xbox live, you have to be able to lock it. xbox-scene.com has plenty of info on this stuff :) 40gig was plenty for me

i am still tryin to get my mod chip to work like it should. I cant get the damn xbox to read my cds to install evox! :(...its been 9 months and still havent

well... do i need to 'mod-chip' my Xbox before i can put in a larger hard drive?

thekore, i think you have to because the software hacks won't let you bootup to the bios like a modchip would but i am not 100% sure. i know the www.xbox-scene.com tut's tell you.

best of luck

i saw somewhere on xbox-scene where u didnt have to have a mod chip. Right now i am trying to get evox installed without burning it to cd and **** cause my thompson doesnt read burn cds well.

i thought modding the box would stop people from connecting to xbox live. or something like that.

You'll get better help if you ask in the xbox-scene forums, honestly. And yes you need to mod your Xbox to put in a larger drive...
wink.gif

hdd limit of xbox with latest modchip and evox is 2Tb (yes 2Tb)
chips are well, cheap as chips - www.cheapmod.com get the duo-x chips ive fitted loads with no probs
although you can switch off chips there are alternative online servers that are FREE so dont bother with live :)

if you have a thomson drive, well first off unlucky m8!!! you will have to burn a evox bot/install disc to dvdr to get your xbox running once chipped. have a look for the slayer evox disc, very simple to use

thomson sucks...i found a way to do it so windows detects the xbox hard drive. I will be doing that either tonight or somethin this weekend :).

tittlebitties, are you do thing the hotswap? i am trying to get my pc to read my old harddrive :)

yes i am mooo. Cept i brought my xbox to school and took it apart and put it back together and now it restarts 3 times and on the last time it blinks red and green. I thought that was only for the mod chip but i read its also when your xbox goes poo poo :(.

TittleBitties said:
i am still tryin to get my mod chip to work like it should. I cant get the damn xbox to read my cds to install evox! :(...its been 9 months and still havent

If your not fragging (the light thingy going off/on) have you installed the lastest BIOS (M8-x2_4983 BIOS-M8_16 for 1.6 xbox) make sure you use a new CD-RW. burn real slow and put it in the DVD tray. If it doesn't boot up then turn it off and turn on from the eject button. Are you running a operating system with your mod chip such as Xenium Ice OS 2.0/2.01 ?

TittleBitties said:
yes i am mooo. Cept i brought my xbox to school and took it apart and put it back together and now it restarts 3 times and on the last time it blinks red and green. I thought that was only for the mod chip but i read its also when your xbox goes poo poo :(.

Hang in there TittleBitties. All is not lost here: Flashing red and green (fragging) means you have a bad installation or your dO wire isn't installed correctly. Make sure its in the right hole. Did you do a solderless install or did you solder. The problem with the solderless adapters is. They come loose. If you did solder make sure you didn't use too much solder so none over flowed onto any track lines (traces) pinheader install is about the best and putting that dO wire in that little frickn' hole I needed a magnifying glass to put mine in. What mod chip do you have.

Slayers 2.6 Auto Installer

If your not familiar with Slayers auto installer it is awesome especially for the novice users. Once you flash your BIOS after you install your mod chip then load up Slayer's and it installs all your programs for you. You do need to read the installation options before installing however. Here is a description from Slayers website: http://slayer.xbox-scene.com/forum/index.php

"New SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer v2.6 features (built on v2.5):

* Includes latest versions of most Xbox homebrew tools and bioses (as of release date)
* Support for >137GB HD's and the G: Drive
* XBOX v1.0 - V1.6 Support through new EvoX M8 v1.6 Bioses (possible future versions too)
* Ability to install EvoX & Apps in F: for Stealth Mode
* Ability to restore the retail Xbox HD to retail mode
* Ability to Format the C: E: F: or G: partitions independently
* Latest Stable Media Player XBMP Custom Configured with ShoutCast Radio
* Latest Stable Media Center XBMC Custom Configured with ShoutCast Radio
* Customized X2 & M8 *FC* Bioses that boot "evoXdash.xbe" 1st from F: then from C: with
failover to "default.xbe" on DVD and "avadash.xbe" on C:
* Customized X2 & M8 *FC* Bioses that continue support for >137GB HD's
* Ability to flash virtually ANY v1.0-v1.6 XBOX MOD chip & some TSOPs with 256K or 1MB
* Ability to flash an X2, X3, Chameleon, Akira or any other 1MB Cromwell based MOD chip with M8 *FC* +137G just by inserting this v2.6 installer disk. (NOT FOR v1.6!)
* Ability to restore the latest v1.0-v1.6 compatible M$ dash
* Comprehensive Step-by-Step Instalation and troubleshooting manual, released as locked & encrypted PDF 5.0 for better compatibility

Software Included (along with the unchanged tools from v2.5):

* EvoX Dash v1.8.3935
* XBMP v2.4 CVS 09-24-03 (seems to be fastest & most stable version)
* XBMC 08-18-2004
* HDDLoader v1.3a
* dvd2xbox v0.5.9
* boXplorer 0.96 G: Patched
* BiosChecker v3.2
* xbftp v0.61
* XCommander R2 G: Patched
* Avalaunch 0.49.01 (auto-updatable on-line & can download the Qwix PC ISO Manager)
* Xboxdash dvd region free patch disc v1.03 (to be used on the older 4920 dash only!) "

Now for anyone asking where to get this, you all know the answer to that one. The Usual Places :)

sorry i forgot about this thread
ummm...i have a solderless and even when i take it out the xbox still flashes. I really think its fooked up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back