XBox 360

Admiral Michael

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hey Guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to decide something. I'm thinking of either getting a Xbox or Xbox 360. Now before you go ahead and post I'd like to explain what I want to do with it first.

My cousin has an original xbox that has a mod chip. He uses XBMC to play music, video and view pictures over his network. He is able to connect to both Media Center and XP machines.

I want to setup an Xbox in a similar fashion, but I need to know if the 360 can do this out of the box. I would prefer to get the 360 (will take some time to save up for it) as it's newer and I've been edging to try the Star Trek Legacy game. I know the 360 has the 3 features I'm looking for (music, video and pictures) but what kind of requirements do they have?

XBMC can simply browse and share on a computer, how does the 360 work?

I think that's all for now,
Mike

My recommendation is to go with the Xbox 360 (better games) and use it with TVersity. You can stream music, videos and pictures from any XP box (Media Center not necessary)

I'd rather not have to run any software to accomlish this. Like I mentioned XBMC can simpy access network shares which is how I'd like it to function.

Can the 360 do this? or does it have to use Media Connect?

Doesn't the 360 just stream from an XP machine after installing a driver-type-thing on the computer?

I don't know personally, I have no trouble streaming from my Mac, however, again, that required installation of some software (which runs in the background, and presents no problems).

So is this how it works?

I play a file on my computer and it plays through the 360?

With the original XBox Mod I would basically open a file over the network (or off the hard drive, or a cd) and play it that way.

No, the 360 dashboard has a "media" tab (or blade), upon selecting music you're prompted to visit here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/alldownloads.htm

Not having a PC, I don't know what you need to install. However, upon installing, you simply browse your media from the xbox, and can play what you want, even listen to music whilst gaming.

u use either windows media connect or windows media player 11, if you use mp11 then media connect is built into it

xbox 360 then picks up your pics/music/videos from your media player library ( u need to go to share music, then authoirze the 360)

make sure you have the service "windows media player networking service" as either automatic or manual, i prefer manual.. then it only starts up/shuts down as required

as for media center, you need to instal the xbox extender application on the MCE machine...

Can I specify custom folders like in that screenshot with media player 11?

EDIT: and can it support multiple computers? I have about 4 computers I may want to connect to (I know Id need the connect software or media player 11 on each).

Last edited:
i use mediacenter to stream stuff to myxbox via wireless router. All it needs is the service running on my laptop. i can chose which folders to share. i belive it can suport multiple computers, not had the need to try it though.

Well I dont have any mediacenter computers, you can use the sharing features in Media Player 11 to connect. I am going to have to test this at my other cousin's, he bought a 360.

Might be worth waiting for the next XBOX360 revision to be out :D

Well I wouldn't be buying it now, I would have to save up for it. I'm hoping my tax return is a nice one (don't have all the stuff to find out), maybe I will buy it with that.

Any idea on that revision release date?

yes you can specify which PC's WMP library

when you browse media on the xbox360, first you select which PC name...

Thanks,

So far I'm thinking of the 360. A test with my cousin's (the one with the 360) well help my final decision.

isn't the only video you can stream through the xbox 360 WMV??

I hope I'm wrong.

The Xbox 360 supports WMV, MPEG 2, MPEG 4 video formats. You can either download video from the Xbox Live Marketplace, or stream videos from your Windows Media Center PC by using your Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender. Windows Media Video WMV video codecs supported includes Windows Media Video 7, 8, 9 and Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile. Audio in MP3 format and WMA supported.

That's news to me, I was under the impression that it was only WMV video which was supported. There are guides all over the net on how to convert your Xvid/Divx/MPEG4 into WMV using VLC and other tools.

ack, never thought about supported file types.

Now it's even harder to choose as the XBMC can play so much more then just what the 360 can. Ulgh!

...which is why I mentioned TVersity. It does on-the-fly transcoding, so you can play most video formats on the 360, provided you have the filters installed on the host machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back