Xbox 360 to be backwards compatible

no one posted this here so i will.

"Xbox Live is an online gaming service that works across both the current Xbox system and the future Xbox 2. You will be able to play online and compete against others across both consoles. If you are playing an Xbox game on Live you will be able to compete against people playing that same game on Xbox 2".

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22839

Hmm I dunno. That doesn't really mean you would be able to plunk Dead or Alive 3 into an Xbox 360 and be able to play it.

This just means that people with Xboxes and Xbox 360s will be able to play online together.

you just had to piss on my parade didnt you Omar :p

I wanna have 360 backwards compatibility, if its not there then i aint buying a 360 :p

well i might get one if it is possible to have a hdd in it, thats why i didnt buy an xbox or ps2 im happy i waited for the next gen

thekore said:
you just had to piss on my parade didnt you Omar :p

I wanna have 360 backwards compatibility, if its not there then i aint buying a 360 :p

Hey, I'm in the same boat...it would be a sweet feature. Most speculation at this point seems to indicate that there will be a backwards compatible version of the Xbox 360, but the more expensive one which includes the hard drive.

So you'll *probably* get backwards compatibility, you'll just have to pay more :p

I hope they do the cheaper no backwards compatibility thing though.

I have an xbox and I have no interest in playing the games from my previous xbox when I play on my new xbox 360. I think this is an extremely overrated feature. Hell I don't even play games that I bought 6 months ago let alone when I have a new system with newer everything.

But if they do put in this feature I won't care. I just don't care either way.

Tuffgong4 said:

I have an xbox and I have no interest in playing the games from my previous xbox when I play on my new xbox 360. I think this is an extremely overrated feature. Hell I don't even play games that I bought 6 months ago let alone when I have a new system with newer everything.

But if they do put in this feature I won't care. I just don't care either way.

That's why there will be two bundles - cheaper one with no hard drive and no backwards compatibility, and a more expensive one with the hard drive and backwards compatibility.

Grandmaster said:
That's why there will be two bundles - cheaper one with no hard drive and no backwards compatibility, and a more expensive one with the hard drive and backwards compatibility.
Yeah they have backwards compatibility & HD in order to lure you into the "media box" version. They probably figure if you can spring for it you'll want all the other stuff as well.

Tuffgong4 said:
Forgive me for saying this, but why would it be cheaper with no backwards compatibility? Don't they still run on the same discs?

On a side note, I found this awesome site that lets you get free preorders for xbox 360. Email me @ dts11@comcast.net if you're interested.

7_QuI-g0Nn? said:
Tuffgong4 said:

Forgive me for saying this, but why would it be cheaper with no backwards compatibility? Don't they still run on the same discs?

They both use the same types of discs, yes. But the difference is that XBox 360's games will be in a completely different format. In order to have backward compatibility, there must be processor emulation as a PowerPC based processor is NOT the same as an Intel processor (in the XBox).

Now that I think about it, the cost difference is going to be huge since the two systems are no where near identical. Completely different processors, completely different graphics cards... just completely different. :suprised:

Not necessarily Reg.

All they need to do is emulate, its a simple process once they get it right and since they claim to have backwards compatability already it cannot be that hard to do.

The format for Xbox v/s Xbox360 may be different but its platform-centric so a single app should theoretically be sufficient to emulate. Keep in mind that the power of the new setup is going to be immensly superior to the current setup so it is not going to be out of the realm of possibility that it will be able to supply the necessary juice to keep the old games chugging along.

That's true. It is a simple process. But, you also have to note that the architechture is completely different. The PS2/PS architechture was not that far off so it was easier to emulate. With the XBox/360, it's a little more complicated since the emulation process has to be good enough to render the XBox games at least 90% of the quality that the XBox does now. Another thing to note is that the XBox's base was a Windows 2000 OS. Here, the 360 is not running Windows (at least to my knowledge) so the emulation will have to be far greater than we think. Knowing Microsoft, just that feature alone is going to add $50 to the price. That's before we talk about the HDD.

It will be able to play Xbox games. J Allard said it himself in the Xbox 360 keynote. You can stream it off gamespot.com if you want to see it.

We know that it will be backward compatible. However, what we are discussing is how much more Microsoft is going to add to the cost for it since the 360 is going to be sold as two units, one that is backward compatible and one that isn't.

The rumor of two versions of the Xbox 360 is just that ... rumor that started when there was no concrete information from Microsoft themselves. There are NO indications that there will be two versions of the Xbox 360. Even if you are able to buy an Xbox with less options, that unit will technically still be the same version as a fully fledged Xbox 360 with all the options. All Xbox 360s will have the same hardware and support the same addons, and thus have the same capabilities. The discussion of how MS is going to handle the technical aspect of backwards compatability is moot. MS has stated that the Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible, not a version of the Xbox 360.

Yeah I don't think emulation of any console is easy, let alone on another console of a different architecture and comparible speed. I mean this isn't like trying to run a NES or Genesis on your Xbox, we are trying to run a prior gen on the 360. Thats not only going to take a bunch of CPU but the code will have to be really good and I still don't think they can emulate the Xbox 100% on the 360. Will be really interesting to see how MS pulls this off.

You have to remember that all graphics cards have been using similar marchitecture wrt shader functionality for a while. It is not so hard to implement a different API. Just requires a different driver re-write probably in this case and since m$ is going to be the one dealing with it rather than ATi, I don't see much of a problem or a cost over-run.

Also I'd like to point out that the prior discussion on the two different units was all based on speculation before E3. So all those posts are worthless now :)

Grandmaster said:
Also I'd like to point out that the prior discussion on the two different units was all based on speculation before E3. So all those posts are worthless now :)

:eek:

Stop calling me worthless. YOU're worthless. :mad:

/me beats up the master. :smoker:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back