XBOX 360 on Computer LCD, or even two?

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
OK, someone, who shall remain nameless, put an idea in my head and now I'm excited to see if I can do it. Most of you know I whine and moan about how I want a xbox360, but mostly haven't gotten one because I'm cheap and I want a HDTV with it. I'm getting dual 24" LCD from Dell, should be here within a few days, and was thinking since it does HDMI, I can hook the 360 up to that and see how sweet it is.

Then, well, this person said "hey, why not play on both screens".

I think what happened after that was some liquid coming from somewhere, and some excitement. How would it be and how would I do it, if at all?

Anyone have any personal experience playing a 360 on a computer LCD?

-edit-

oooohhhhh :)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103025

-edit 2-

On a 24" dell!

http://g-prime.net/x360/

-edit 3-

HDMI!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hdmiavcable/

Dang, now I need better speakers :D

-edit 4-

OK in all seriousness I think I'll get one soon. Can anyone comment on what they may have learned or avoided when looking at which model to buy? Admittedly I've ignored these threads because they made me jealous :p

Last edited:
I have played it on my 24" Dell display, a 19" 720p LCD tv and my 42" 1080 TV.

Works with all. The latter 2 worked fine with HDMI, for my monitor, I used the VGA cable for 1080P.

I am running my xbox 360 elite through a dell 2005FPW, runs very nice too I might add :)
as my screen is 20" the res does not go as high as 1080P, so I am running 1280 x 768 as its as close to a 16:10 resolution i can get. I am using the official vga cable and just using tthe inputs on my screen to switch between VGA (Xbox) and DVI (PC), I also go a usb switch box off ebay so now my logitech g15 switches between the xbox and the pc at a touch of a button :)
Oh nearly forgot Forza motorsport 2 supports multiple monitors would be nice to see running!
Enjoy :)

I have played it on my 24" Dell display, a 19" 720p LCD tv and my 42" 1080 TV.

Works with all. The latter 2 worked fine with HDMI, for my monitor, I used the VGA cable for 1080P.

How come you went VGA for your 24" DELL and not HDMI? Did your model of 24 not have it?

I have the 2407, it has HDTV, S-video, DVI and VGA.

There is no difference in me running 1080P through VGA on my monitor opposed to running it natively 1080P through my TV.

The TV only looks better because it's bigger and I can sit further away and take in the entire picture.

How's the sound quality through a RCA jack to your computer speakers - either of you try that?

I have a special jobbie that allows me to splice the sound outputs directly to a headphone so I just hook up my turtle beach headset and listen to the setup that route.

Works great :)

I have a set of creative labs 2.1 I-Trigue speaker, which do the job. On the control box for them they have a 3.5mm (headphone) jack for audio in which is really handy. With the VGA cable you have the two RCA connectors which are then connected to the included RCA to 3.5mm jack adapter and just plugged in, works quite nicely.
Oh I have the same headset as Sazar too and that has pass-through rca connectors, if you like I can take a photo of the set up this evening :)

Yeah, word, photo(s) would be cool.

I'm going to search through the forum later, but does anyone have any good blogs/websites for XBOX360 or related coverage?

the optical out from the hdmi lead to my surround sound system makes things sound good :)

My set-up is via a Dell 2405FPW. This monitor takes Component up to 720p, however the native screen res is greater than 1080p and therefore it can take that over VGA (Which is available via a separate cable), a lot of the newer dells will probably take 1080p over component or even have HDMI built in.

I've then got optical out to a JVC TH-L1 5.1 set-up. A cheap and cheerful surround system which is ideal for the room I've got the console set up in.

btw, Forza only supports multi-screens via multiple consoles. You need three consoles and three screens. To my knowledge, it's the only game which does this.

Yeah, word, photo(s) would be cool.

I'm going to search through the forum later, but does anyone have any good blogs/websites for XBOX360 or related coverage?

Derek, check out xbox360fanboy.com. It's basically the 360 division under Joystiq.com.

Also, I check out xbox360.ign.com from time to time.

And teamxbox.com.

If you are looking for games to get, look at gamerankings.com or metacritic.com - both aggregate review scores.

And you are welcome ;p

I don't have surround sound on the XBOX at the moment as its currently in the office on my PC monitor, but anyway here is my sound hookup:

1. RCA connectors on the end on my MS VGA cable
  2. Pass-through connectors for my turtle beach headset (same as Sazar's)
  3. RCA to 3.5mm jack adapter (comes with the MS lead)
  4. 3.5mm extension lead (to keep everything neat was £1 from ebay :D)
  5. Connection into my pc speakers (or you could connect it to your sound card's line or diectly into you speakers input)
Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• CIMG1085.jpg
    CIMG1085.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 218
btw, Forza only supports multi-screens via multiple consoles. You need three consoles and three screens. To my knowledge, it's the only game which does this.
Hmm was not aware of the specifics there.... Still i think i could get the bits together :)

Forza does not suck dude. I have had hours of fun driving the Nurgurgring with a variety of cars. It's a GREAT game :)

Forza is a great game, I have got the limited collectors ed too, unfortunately I suck at it :)

My set-up is via a Dell 2405FPW. This monitor takes Component up to 720p, however the native screen res is greater than 1080p and therefore it can take that over VGA (Which is available via a separate cable), a lot of the newer dells will probably take 1080p over component or even have HDMI built in.

I've then got optical out to a JVC TH-L1 5.1 set-up. A cheap and cheerful surround system which is ideal for the room I've got the console set up in.

Great stuff, and the 2408 I just got (woo) has HDMI built in :D - would be nice to compare a few different options...I'm going to get the Logitech z-2300 I think they are.

Derek, check out xbox360fanboy.com. It's basically the 360 division under Joystiq.com.

Also, I check out xbox360.ign.com from time to time.

And teamxbox.com.

If you are looking for games to get, look at gamerankings.com or metacritic.com - both aggregate review scores.

And you are welcome ;p
Thanks for the resources, good stuff!

I don't have surround sound on the XBOX at the moment as its currently in the office on my PC monitor, but anyway here is my sound hookup:

1. RCA connectors on the end on my MS VGA cable
  2. Pass-through connectors for my turtle beach headset (same as Sazar's)
  3. RCA to 3.5mm jack adapter (comes with the MS lead)
  4. 3.5mm extension lead (to keep everything neat was £1 from ebay :D)
  5. Connection into my pc speakers (or you could connect it to your sound card's line or diectly into you speakers input)
Hope this helps :)

Interesting setup there macgyver :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back