XBOX 360 on Computer LCD, or even two?

I have two 360s, one on an HDTV using HDMI, the other on a 19" Viewsonic. The Viewsonic doesn't have HDMI, so I bought a Joytech VGA cable and it works great. Nice for gaming and reading walkthroughs lol. I found an adapter for the RCA audio to 3.5(think thats the size) to connect my PC speakers to it as well. If you don't have that and want to use your PC speakers and don't have optical audio (which the Joytech VGA cable has), Logitech has this adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U3ACY which I bought before I found the adapter I'm currently using lying around.

I did a bit of reading yesterday and had some thoughts - comments welcome!

The newer revisions out atm are Falcon core, which are 65nm CPU's and supposed to run cooloer more efficient. I think this is also a 75w system
On top of that, the XBOX 360 Elite which I would get, is rumored to only have a 2% failure rate (B.S.?)
What is the warranty like on these, or does it vary by make/model?
How do you verify the "core" of the build from an e-tailer or store?
Same for the type of HDDVD drive - from what I gather BenQ is the best?
How are load times for games - I read that BluRay (PS3) is slower than HDDVD due to the format?
Does anyone have a charge kit?

I'm thinking I'll hold out for the Jasper core, as it will also shrink the GPU die to 65nm as well, which should solve more issues. I think it is supposed to come out in August of '08 but need to read more on that - anyone have links/details?

Sorry for all my newb questions, just looking for personal opinion :eek: :p

I did a bit of reading yesterday and had some thoughts - comments welcome!

The newer revisions out atm are Falcon core, which are 65nm CPU's and supposed to run cooloer more efficient. I think this is also a 75w system
On top of that, the XBOX 360 Elite which I would get, is rumored to only have a 2% failure rate (B.S.?)

All the current 360s are Falcon core I believe and they shouldn't have the problems associated with the older core... but I don't think it's been entirely confirmed that the Falcon core has a lower failure rate than the older core.

I have the Falcon core myself for the last 6 months and I haven't had problems. But I'm just 1 out of millions.

What is the warranty like on these, or does it vary by make/model?
All 360s have a 3 year warranty that covers the "Red Ring of Death" problem. But for other problems its the standard 1 year.

How do you verify the "core" of the build from an e-tailer or store?
All the new 360s are the Falcon core... but I'm not sure how to check the core and I would suspect you'd have to check the serial # to confirm.

Edit: this might help: http://www.xboxlivescene.com/forums/xbox-rumors-inside-info/1773-identifying-65nm-xbox-360-a.html

Same for the type of HDDVD drive - from what I gather BenQ is the best?
The 360 comes with a DVD drive. The HDDVD was an addon that's not being produced anymore... but you'll probably find at it at a really good price now. But I haven't previously heard about certain HDDVD models being better.

How are load times for games - I read that BluRay (PS3) is slower than HDDVD due to the format?
Load times vary game to game. But in general they range from unnoticeable to just bearable :p

Does anyone have a charge kit?
Yeah I have one and I bought 3 batteries with it. Worth getting one in my opinion... unless you already have a rechargeable (AA) battery kit.

I'm thinking I'll hold out for the Jasper core, as it will also shrink the GPU die to 65nm as well, which should solve more issues. I think it is supposed to come out in August of '08 but need to read more on that - anyone have links/details?
Nope, but might not be a bad idea since we don't conclusively know that the Falcon core has lower failure rates.

eh, one of my 360s has the manufacture date of 10/07 and is a Falcon. Pretty much everything you buy these days are Falcons. If you want to verify, buy your 360 where you can see the box.

falconidhw3.jpg

No use holding out for a new revision because you'll be holding out for as long as you've been telling us that you will eventually get one. I've recently read that the Falcon will be used on all 360s until at least after the holidays. Can't tell you where I read it, but I've read it recently while trying to figure out if my 2nd 360 was a Falcon. Also, while the Falcon revision is widely known to be more reliable, we can't say that about Jasper yet and waiting for it, you are missing games that you could be playing.

The 360 doesn't use an HD-DVD for games. Why are you even talking about HD-DVD unless you are looking to get some cheap HD-DVDs in the bargain bin? Miss the memo on Blu-Ray winning it all eh? lol

Seriously man, to put this all into perspective, look at how much money you probably spend on computer hardware you probably really don't need, then think of a one time 350 dollars for the rest of this generation's console lifespan ... a few more years. Time to give yourself a little present.

Seriously man, to put this all into perspective, look at how much money you probably spend on computer hardware you probably really don't need, then think of a one time 350 dollars for the rest of this generation's console lifespan ... a few more years. Time to give yourself a little present.

By the way, great point :p

I think I'll get one within a few weeks, going to use that identifier thingy and make sure I get the right core. I agree most should have them, but would hate to be stuck with an old one like I read can happen sometimes.

I've waited long enough - now time to get some good games!!!!

I know most of you are RPG'ers - anyone have good recommendations for sports games? I'm going to read over the sites above that rank them...

What kind of sports do you like? I like my basketball, so I have NBA 2k8, Madden 08, NFS: Carbon/Forza 2 for racing, Top Spin 2/Rockstar Table Tennis for modern day pong. Pretty much any sport you can get, soccer, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, cricket. Oh yeah since you are behind years on 360 gaming. I'd recommend subscribing to something like Gamefly ... and oh yeah goozex.com to trade games for games.

What kind of sports do you like? I like my basketball, so I have NBA 2k8, Madden 08, NFS: Carbon/Forza 2 for racing, Top Spin 2/Rockstar Table Tennis for modern day pong. Pretty much any sport you can get, soccer, football, basketball, hockey, tennis, cricket. Oh yeah since you are behind years on 360 gaming. I'd recommend subscribing to something like Gamefly ... and oh yeah goozex.com to trade games for games.
I was a HUGE fan of top spin for my normal xbox, so I'll probably hit that up.

I prefer Baseball, Football, Hockey and then Basketball pretty much in that order. Will probably skip over Madden '08 and just pre-order '09. I'll get MLB 2K8 (hope the patch comes out soon :p ) and probably Halo 3. Probably about another week or two until I pick one up, have to finish a few projects first and pay some bills.

Stop posting and get some pictures.

Geez :smoker:

You can get cricket on the Xbox?

Links?

Yeah I saw a review of a cricket game for the 360. Brian Lara International or something. That was at least a year ago though.

I almost bought one last Thursday - went into a Gamestop to ask some questions and all I got was "I don't know" - made me very discouraged.

But, I'm picking one up this week. I will post thoughts and pictures (finally) then. Still need to do some cable management and get a new switch before I want to post my mess :eek: :p

XBOX360 Elite is in da house!!!!

I struggled a bit about a few components, but I ended up doing OK. I picked up a black (woo) gigabit switch for 40 bucks (dlink). Circuit City had it tagged wrong, got it for 20 bucks cheaper than I should have :p My current switch is maxed out so I needed that.

I have the logitech z2300's - but realized with HDMI I could do optical for audio. No such luck and I wasn't going to spring for 5.1/7.1 speakers. I was a bit squeemish though - splicing into your sound card seemed to be a pain to configure based on stuff I read. So, my solution - I got a Monster CAble that has two male to one female - I can run the two male into the HDMI xbox cable, and the one female can hook up to the audio out on the speakers. This is good because I don't need to get new speakers, don't have to **** with software, and won't need my tower to be on to game (woohoo!)

I got the elite, as well as Halo 3 and MLB 2K8 or whatever it's called. Have to do a crap load of stuff tonight - but tomorrow I'll hook it up and (gasp), post pictures!!!! Will be hooking it up to my 24" DELL through HDMI.

I'm excited, will be asking for gamertags shortly. The store I bought from, these guys play halo every night so they gave me their tags.

I have wanted this for sooooo long and now I have it :) There were a bunch more games I wanted but I figure I'll get trials/demos first and see if they are good or "pants" as Saz would say :p

:up:

Wow, them there pix shure are amazing :smoker:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back