Xbox 360 Launch Thread

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political Access
Major Nelson cleared up some recent rumors on his blogcast.

"There is abosolutely no recall"

"We are committed to providing 2.75 million to 3 million Xbox 360s within the first 90 days alone" - Robbie Back (Chief Xbox Officer)

That should put an end to all the speculation on the recall and shortages once and for all. :)

Last edited:
If anyone has one yet, or know someone who does, how big is the difference between playing it on a normal TV vs HDTV?

I've heard to take full advantage and to appreciate the "beauty", you need HDTV

from what i have heard you do need a HDTV to take full advantage.

If like me you dont have an HDTV, you also need to buy the advanced scart cable which gives the best picture (the picture is RGB) which is better than the standard Scart cable. ON most TVS the AV1 scart slot is the RGB scart slot.

Are you referring to what are called "monster cables"?

I think there are the brand 'Monster cables', im at work at the moment so cant get to any 'Games' websites.

There is a 'Joytech' digital cable and also there is the 'Microsoft advanced cable'

In the uk I use gameplay and under there 360 - Accessories - Connections/Cables

Microsoft sells 400K 306s, only 3% defective

American Technology Research analyst P.J. McNealy estimates 300,000 to 400,000 Xbox 360s have been sold in the U.S in the last week.
Image McNealy believes Microsoft could have sold up to three times that amount, putting the company halfway to its three month target of 3 million units worldwide. "I think they would have been happy to have sold another million if they could have. They just didn't have them," he said

Meanwhile, Microsoft says the number of faulty Xboxs is below the average for new consumer electronics products, of 3%.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1765&Itemid=2

That's awesome, much better than the rumored 15% I had seen before :)

I've got a DVI connection on my LCD TV! Think it's HDTV compatible! :D :D

cant remember if my plasma has dvi, i think it goes. am 90% certain it's not hdtv though :(

kcnychief said:
If anyone has one yet, or know someone who does, how big is the difference between playing it on a normal TV vs HDTV?

It looks very very nice on a normal TV even in composite.

On the LCD HDTV I checked it on, with component it's the most beautiful thing in history.

Dudley said:
It looks very very nice on a normal TV even in composite.

On the LCD HDTV I checked it on, with component it's the most beautiful thing in history.

I agree about its beauty on HDTV, I have seen it at Best Buy and it's amazing :squareeye

kcnychief said:

Oh it's a huge difference, believe me. Without the HDTV, the games won't look that much different from current gen games.

Grandmaster: not trying to be negative....... but i figured i'd post this. seems to be some conflicting arguements between "various sources across the internet" and Major Nelson.

http://www.xboxforums360.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

there may not be a recall..... but i'm kinda iffy on their commitment to sell 2.5 to 3 million consoles by February

and i find it funny when sites do "comparison" shots. hard to really compare something when there were only like 2 of them that were of the same exact scene. not really any noticable difference in the NBA games, the NHL game.... and Tony Hawk (only different thing i noticed was his hands looked a tad more defined, and they gave him a band around his wrist). yeah, i noticed the difference in some of them.... but it's not something that'd make me jump for joy over it. if they get some better, more coordinated comparison shots that show the exact same scene in both pics... then maybe i could tell..... but the one of NFS: MW was ridiculous. showed 2 different cars on 2 different tracks, at 2 different times of day. Even Madden '06.... 2 different stadiums... one outdoor, one indoor, completely different levels of light... completely different viewpoint....... i honestly can't really tell if there truly was a difference or not when one shot was damn near being a birds-eye view. all i notice is the Xbox 360 one is more shiny kinda HDR-ish (which seems to be the case with EVERY game so far for the 360).

once again..... not trying to be negative. i know there are people that love their xbox 360's (if they have it yet)...... but you kinda have to agree that some of those are hard to tell the difference.

Last edited:
If you can't tell the NBA games, especially the non-EA one, apart from current gen then I'd check you're looking at screenshots and not a drawing in crayon.

With PGR3 you notice the second it moves, even if you didn't notice before, which you would have..

kcnychief said:
Are you referring to what are called "monster cables"?
Save your money, The Monster cables are overpriced to milk the market. A decent pair of good cables will save you $60-70 if you purchase something other than "Monster." On a Non HD-tv you will not notice any difference as teh resolution is to low, it just might show you the limits or your old tv though.

Even the Monster DVI or HDMI connections are overpriced.

The advanced breakout box will give you the best picture though, this is included in the premium version, you will have to buy it separately for the core system.

Good stuff, bbc news says over 200 people were queueing yesterday ... lol (either that is missing a 0 or two cos that seems pathetic.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back