Xbox 360 kiosks running G5 systems

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
It seems that the Xbox 360 is not even plugged in and the demos we see here are running on a pair of G5. :eek: :laugh:

link

Don't see the humor, and this has been known for a while :p

Grandmaster said:
Don't see the humor, and this has been known for a while :p

but to see it is what makes it.... :laugh:

i always find it amusing seeing Microsoft using Apple computers

I hope that is why why so many frames are dropped on the demo's on techtv. There might be hope yet...

The ps3 as far as I have seen did not drop frames on games.

Man d o i hate top see 60fps and then a drop

Interesting that they went thru the trouble of trying to make people think they were actually playing on a 360. Why not just say we don't have a final prototype, but we do have some demo's? I guess when it's all about flash and hype it doesn't matter when you don't have the real deal?

Xie said:
Interesting that they went thru the trouble of trying to make people think they were actually playing on a 360. Why not just say we don't have a final prototype, but we do have some demo's? I guess when it's all about flash and hype it doesn't matter when you don't have the real deal?

Every interview that J Allard and every other MS exec gave, they repeatedly said that the current games are running at alpha hardware which is only 30% of the power of what the final hardware will be like. That is why there are a few games that are choppy.

Beta dev kits are supposed to be just around the corner, and they will be actually 360s then.

Grandmaster said:
Every interview that J Allard and every other MS exec gave, they repeatedly said that the current games are running at alpha hardware which is only 30% of the power of what the final hardware will be like. That is why there are a few games that are choppy.

Beta dev kits are supposed to be just around the corner, and they will be actually 360s then.
Yep, more on that here:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/615/615667p1.html

It doesn't really come as a surprise either. Remember the alpha kits that were sent out to devs? They were just G5 systems. :)

The XBOX360 and PS3 are using variations of the PowerPC proc's so it only makes sense they are using G5's for demo's.

I understand the whole alpha hardware thing, I just think it rather shaddy to put a non-functional 360 in a kiosk window and pretend it's actually rendering the games/demo's is all.

Xie said:
I understand the whole alpha hardware thing, I just think it rather shaddy to put a non-functional 360 in a kiosk window and pretend it's actually rendering the games/demo's is all.

Perhaps, you know...they wanted people to see what a 360 looks like in person? :p

By hiding it away so you can only see the front? Not a very good method of presentation is it? :D

I honestly don't think the factor that demo's were running on G5's was a secret, were it meant to be, they would of been better concealed. It's good to know that the demo's were running on 6800's though (Why didn't they use X800's?), and shall look even better when they start utilising the real 360 hardware :)

Just seems like a last minute thing thrown together to feed the hype monster instead of just showing a demo video and having a case with the 360 completely visable.

Xie said:

It's called marketing and this is what wins the console wars.

This is what happened with the first PS, Sony made it 'Cool' to have a PlayStation even though imho the Sega Saturn was a better console. Same with the PS2, the Dreamcast was out long before it, was comparable on graphix even though it was an older console and had some kickass games for it. Problem was Sega's marketing department got trounced by Sony's. So Sega focused on what they're best at, making games. I can see the same thing happening to Nintendo :cry:

Microsoft on the other hand are playing Sony at their own game and have tonnes of cash to throw at it, just like Sony.

RickyC said:

This is what happened with the first PS, Sony made it 'Cool' to have a PlayStation even though imho the Sega Saturn was a better console. Same with the PS2, the Dreamcast was out long before it, was comparable on graphix even though it was an older console and had some kickass games for it. Problem was Sega's marketing department got trounced by Sony's. So Sega focused on what they're best at, making games. I can see the same thing happening to Nintendo :cry:

Microsoft on the other hand are playing Sony at their own game and have tonnes of cash to throw at it, just like Sony.
So the console war is like politics? The one that can throw the most BS wins? :D

SPeedY_B said:
By hiding it away so you can only see the front? Not a very good method of presentation is it? :D

I honestly don't think the factor that demo's were running on G5's was a secret, were it meant to be, they would of been better concealed. It's good to know that the demo's were running on 6800's though (Why didn't they use X800's?), and shall look even better when they start utilising the real 360 hardware :)

Nvidia has better DVi/HDTV support for Apple setups than does ATi @ the moment.

Their cards are about the same in rendering ability but Nvidia does have the leg up on output. Also factor in that the r5xx component will be sm3.0 compliant and only the nv40 is compliant at this point. It's a logical step. As is they have not licensed the whole card from ATi. ATi is building the tech and M$ is licensing it and building itself.

ah cool, wasn't aware of all that, just thought due to the ATi tech in the 360, it would of been a more logical choice... apparently not :)

WRT Macs, the nv40's can do dual output to 30" cinema displays. The ati cards cannot.

RickyC said:

It's called "vaporware", and while Sony has just started to use it to its advantage, Microsoft is an old pro at it. They buried DR-DOS under a pile of vaporware initially, then when that wasn't enough, started putting in detections in Windows 3.1 to make sure that errors would generate on a non-MS-DOS. However, when DR-DOS then released patches to circumvent that (which, these days, would be a violation of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act), Microsoft then created Windows 95, which made it impossible to unbundle DOS from Windows. That's the only reason Windows 95 was ever created the way it is--to bury its only real competitor.

Now consoles are a whole different world, and since every console runs on its own hardware, Microsoft can't generate false software errors to bury its competitors. No, this time, it has to rely on the "Halo" fanboys who will only buy a system based on one game franchise and a heavy dose of vaporware.

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back