XBOX 360 Elite Confirmed, Set for April 29 Release

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
HD nerds and Xbox fanboys, the moment you've been waiting for: the Xbox 360 Elite we alerted you about way back when it was just called the Zephyr has finally been announced. As we previously mentioned, it will be black, it will have HDMI, and it will have a 120GB drive (it'll also come bundled with a one month Xbox Live trial) for $479. Unfortunately, also as mentioned before, it's not going to have the new 65nm CPUs, it still doesn't have integrated WiFi (Xbox said it's because a study showed the majority of their customers use Ethernet to connect -- huh?), and it won't have an integrated HD DVD drive (not that we expected otherwise). Microsoft did make some marketing decisions since our sources spilled the beans on this thing though: it's not going to be limited edition, as we previously had. Instead, the Elite will be a permanent SKU, the third and top-tier Xbox device. On the solo 120GB drive side of things, that unit will cost $179, and will come with a cable and software to migrate from your old 20GB drive. (MSFT wasn't yet sure if that kit would be sold separately for new Elite users -- sounds like it will be though, and will be priced very reasonably.) More info:

• The console will come with component and composite cables, as well as an HDMI cable. (Take that, Sony and Apple!)
  • The console will come with a black wireless controller and black (wired) headset.
  • Sorry, the new black controller still doesn't have backlit buttons -- don't let the pic fool you.
  • The black controller, black rechargeable batteries, black headset, and black Play & Charge kit will all be available in retail for the same price as the white gear.
  • The HD DVD drive will not be released in black.
  • Xbox didn't know what HDMI version the Elite uses, nor whether it supports PCM 5.1, TrueHD, etc.; it will obviously support 1080p, though.
  • Sorry, no price cuts on the Premium or Core packs.
  • Xbox Live Marketplace will also begin vending content from New Line, Paramount, and Universal (and their properties).

It's out April 29th in the US and Canada, people. Ready for your second Xbox? No? Well, it's still cheaper than that other black game console.

Source: Engadget

Lot's of photos: http://www.engadget.com/photos/xbox-360-elite-now-official/ and http://www.engadget.com/photos/xbox-360-elite-already-photographed/

Interesting. I would have preferred price cuts on the first two SKUs.

Anyway. With Halo 3 and GTA4 due in a few months I'll have to pick one of these up :D

The 65nm processor upgrade would have been nice.

Seeeeexxxxxeeeeehhhhhh!!!

I'm really glad I haven't gotten one yet, but I will DEFINITELY get one of these.

woo!

i think the same as grandmaster, price cuts would've been better

and it's a shame this one doesn't come with wifi... and that the hd-dvd addon is not gonna be available in black...

It's tempting but I think I'll save my dough and get a Geforce 8800 GTX at some stage :)

This has got me a little closer to wanting one, however, i am still gunning toward the ps3 strictly for its blu-ray options and wifi amoungst others. if xbox was hd without buying another component and wifi, i might go with it... i can play halo 3 when it comes out on my bros 360.

I wanted a bright pink one with flowers and butterflies :(

And a little pony, just one.

i would have expected built in wireless at least, and preflibly built in HD drive.

That will all be included on version 2.0 of XBOX 360.

I played on the ps3 at work today... not that i'm supposed to. just couldn't resist trying out the wireless controller while i was bored. with my bad eye sight, i just managed to make out the image on the 26" tv on display. Luckily, i didn't get caught as my manager was doing some work while sitting right in front of the PS3 display unit. :p

My thoughts as well.
Would have to be 50 dollars for me to even want the new xbox...

thththth429a5cdf2280e6794f3d2f3e62.gif

That will all be included on version 2.0 of XBOX 360.

You mean the Xbox 720?

Personally, I am waiting for the Xbox 1080. I think if it has less than 4 numbers, it is a sign of inadequacy on the part of the owners.

this has been confirmed for almost 2 months.

they don't have to cut the price ..the are selling gajillions of them. They already are just barely profitable as it is ..and retailers don't make money on them. Hdmi will be necessary to implement 1080p ... but again ..its not even a big deal ..if you have a good tv ..then 720p is just as good ..if not better than 1080p on something crappy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm upset that they didn't do this before last Christmas (when I got my 360) but I can't really complain. I don't really need HDMI now. I'm content playing 360 games in 720p as it is a definite improvement over 480i / standard definition. I also think I have used the two HDMI ports on my plasma set anyway.

The larger hard drive sounds interesting, but I stream music from my pc to the 360 so it would've meant the ability to save 120gb worth of data would translate into saving all the demo downloads I have without worries. There won't be a price cut for a while as long as sony is selling PS3s for an arm and a leg. It's something people will have to get used to for a longer amount of time.

The larger hard drive sounds interesting, but I stream music from my pc to the 360 so it would've meant the ability to save 120gb worth of data would translate into saving all the demo downloads I have without worries. There won't be a price cut for a while as long as sony is selling PS3s for an arm and a leg. It's something people will have to get used to for a longer amount of time.

Good Points :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back