Xbox 120GB hard drive

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I have two vista machines, a zune, a 360 and had the original xbox. So this is not a bash Microsoft rant but I'm confused at some decisions they made with the 360. They offer demos, movies, and games to go on their hard drive. They are going to let people install full games on their hard drives so you don't have to have the dvd drive spinning loudly the whole time. This machine is supposed to be the centerpiece of a media setup and the original adopters have to live with a 20GB hard drive??!?!?!

I'm all up for these companies making money but the harder you make it for customers to use these "premium services" like downloading movies you pay through live and demos and installing games to the hard drive the less people are going to use it.

I understand that companies need to make money but the regular person isn't going to go through all the trouble to buy a 449 dollar elite system or pay 180 dollars to put 120 GB hard drive in their machine for Microsoft to make money off of their downloading service. One game install, one movie, and a few demos and their goes my hard drive space...

There has to be a concession somewhere. The ps3 comes with hard drives that are too small and some games require hard drive installs...but at least they concede with letting users install a bigger hard drive without voiding their warranty.

Something just doesn't make sense. If you want to be a media hub and gaming center at least give people the opportunity to use the damn service. The millions of people that bought a 360 already are thinking I'll install my games to my hard drive. When they realize they can't get more than one game on it they aren't going to use the feature.

Yes a 60GB 360 should be coming and the elite is out there but c'mon...it leave a lot of customers unable to use some great features.

I was always buying games that were cross platform on my 360 over my ps3 but those days are over. I can upgrade my hard drive and play online for free...things just don't make sense....my 360 is probably going to start collecting dust until I see mass effect 2 show up or something exclusive that I can't play on ps3.

**I am completely aware you get what you pay for but this is a bad business practice if you want customers to be able to take advantage of the new features you have put a lot of time and money into researching and developing. All these deals with movie studios and tv studios will probably go for nothing because customers are being squeezed****

Don't they offer hard drive upgrade kits for the 360? Are you saying this would void your warranty if you install something they sell for you to install?

show me a cheap 2.5" 120GB hdd :)

There's nothing stopping you drop a bigger laptop disk in the 360's drive cage.

I agree Lord, but then I have to hack the drive and do it "out of the realm of true Microsoft Customer support"

I've already looked into it and who knows if I'd someday get banned from live or not get a warranty fix because my hard drive isn't Microsoft branded...

There is that plus also people who bought lower ended models might not have had this in mind. Of everything, they should at least offer upgrade kits with directions and let you do it without voiding any warranty.

no upgrade kits and no assistance in installing your own 360 hard drive. it's sad. It's possible with the right tools and being able to connect your 2.5 inch sata hard drives to your pc, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

C'mon Microsoft, it's not a difficult concept...the people who will do it them selves will take advantage of the extra Live features and the ones who are afraid will pay the extra for the larger hard drive, but at least give us an option.

Well... if it helps, I really don't have much on my 360 Elite. But then again, I never saw the need to. As it was, I burned a few cd's to my 360 only because on some games, it was annoying to hear the same music or not have any music at all to play with. (How about having DMC4 music playing on a Tennis game? xD )
It would be hard for those that have lesser models or are running out of hard drive space. Though, I never thought of the idea of using the download movie service to buy it and put it on the 360. It is why I think the movie rental company (netflix I think?) is a better idea. No extra space put into the hard drive other than stream cache. If I get rid of all the trials I have on my hard drive, I can go from 65GB to possibly 96-100GB. Heck, I might delete a few of the replays from my Ace Combat 4 and that should free me a few gb as well.

Though, I do agree that M$ don't want to let us put in custom Hard Drives into it (I was thinking maybe a 500GB or 750GB or even a 1TB drive to throw into it especially with the features that will happen?)
But somehow... on the underground scenes of hacking the device... I don't give it too much longer before someone comes up with the full idea on how to make the drive be fully compatible and untraceable to the 360 as being a legit drive. Ashame you can't do the PS3 method of putting a USB drive device to transfer stuff to and from the console.

Xbox 360 just sucks... if you want to see it lag play ninja gaiden 2 and get to the end where tons of ninjas attack you at the same time. It lags up so bad you start to play the game in slow motion lol.

i love my 360 but the idea of installing a game to my hard drive so I don't have a loud dvd drive spinning sounds great, too bad I probably won't be able to do it without hacking.

Do what? The install a game to the hard drive?
I thought that is what was said on the upcoming feature was to do that but you'd need just the DVD drive to be put in so it will verify the game being legit.

right but a 20GB with about 13 actually available isn't conducive to installing games to it

Oh I see. I was just wondering the hacking part :p
Well, the install part isn't supposed to take effect until the new interface comes right? well if you want, you can always wait and see for the hackers part to see if they make the success or not on putting in Hard Drives successfully.

just install a 3rd party drive and be done with it. How long is left on your warranty? Is it worth bothering about if there is only a couple of months left on the warranty?

just install a 3rd party drive and be done with it. How long is left on your warranty? Is it worth bothering about if there is only a couple of months left on the warranty?

I'm planning on it.

You realize that your entire rant affects .... 0.9% of people? Most would rather just use it as a console, most will probably not bother installing that game they play every 6 months. For the power user who puts media on there, they'd probably be streaming it over keeping it on the 360 anyway.

With that said, I agree with you, but I don't think these issues affect the common 360 owner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back