x64 Prefetch

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Does WindowsXP x64 have the ability to prefetch?

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
Data Type: DWORD Value // Value Name: EnablePrefetcher
Setting for Value Data: [0 = Disabled / 1 = Application Launch Prefetch / 2 = Boot Prefetch / 3 = Prefetch All]
Exit Registry and Reboot

I have had setting 3 on for a while now but my prefetch folder is empty...
Windows 2003 x64 also seems to ignore this setting (Ryan from extended64.com checked for me)
Does the standard windows 2003 have it, is there usually any downside to not having it ?

my prefetch folder is packed ep

silly question, but are you sure you are looking at the right drive?

yah, I only have one prefetch folder... hmm, that is the only way to disable it right? Setting the default value to 0, drive isn't an issue as I don't boot to multiple OS

Electronic Punk said:
yah, that is the only way to disable it right?
you also need the task scheduler service, which should never be dissabled or set to manual

check to see that's set, if anything but automatic, fix that

Yeah, was disabled for some reason . Really not sure why :(
Prefetch is working again it seems, forgotten what the advantages of it are tho!

Electronic Punk said:
Prefetch is working again it seems, forgotten what the advantages of it are tho!

Ask and ye shall receive sire, the advantages of Prefetch...

"The Prefetch folder is used by Windows XP to speed the boot process. Windows XP records information about each program that launches at boot and uses that information to boot faster the next time. Because multiple files might have the same name, it appends a "hash" of the file's location. That's the odd string of numbers and letters between the filename and the .pf extension.

This folder may accumulate useless junk, especially if you change your configuration a lot. There's no harm in emptying it. Simply delete all the files in that folder; Windows will rebuild it as needed."

kcnychief said:
Ask and ye shall receive sire, the advantages of Prefetch...

This folder may accumulate useless junk, especially if you change your configuration a lot. There's no harm in emptying it. Simply delete all the files in that folder; Windows will rebuild it as needed."

that's a great post kcnychief except for this last paragraph.

there's nothing in my prefetch folder over a couple of weeks old and whenever I've had the chance to check anyones prefetch, the same is so.

if you empty the prefetch folder the os will have to redo the work.

unless there's some kind of issue you're trying to resolve and have some reason to suspect the prefetch folder, just leave it alone

perris said:
that's a great post kcnychief except for this last paragraph.

there's nothing in my prefetch folder over a couple of weeks old and whenever I've had the chance to check anyones prefetch, the same is so.

if you empty the prefetch folder the os will have to redo the work.

unless there's some kind of issue you're trying to resolve and have some reason to suspect the prefetch folder, just leave it alone

I agree, however that was more pointed towards the really persistent people like myself who like to have no excess files on their machine. The OS having to redo the work is minimal, and probably wouldn't be noticed anyways.

EDIT: Also, if you refer to EP's OP, 3 is the default, which is to Prefetch All. Maybe they sync so the timestamps stay updated?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back