X31 - Unmountable Boot Volume

rahulsinha

OSNN One Post Wonder
I have a thinkpad X31. Last night it worked fine but today morning, when I tried to boot up, it gave me a BSOD with the error Unmountable_Boot_Volume.
My problem starts here:
a) It does not have a CD drive
b) after numerous posts, I tried to use the recovery option (it has its own partition with the installation setup for the OS in there)
c) the recovery options talks of formatting the HDD. I will loose my data!!! lots!!
d) tried connecting and booting off a win xp desktop. used a USB IDE connector. It shows the drive. makes all kinds of seek, write read noises. (not the clunking) in intervals and then shows up on explorer too. However, as soon as you click on it, or right click, its (not responding)
e) I tried to boot onto the recovery mode and through some extensive internet research, I was able to find that if i hit F3< i would get to the C:\. It does notlet me run chkdsk /p or /r. says... run scandisk but it turns out to be a bad command.

SO: Anybody who can help me on this Is a true god send! I shall have no way to express my gratitude to the person who helps me recover my data. I can buy a new HDD and isntall the OS, no problems there. But I am writing this as a request to anybody who can help me get my data.

PS: I was about to backup my laptop today. got a new 200 GB external HDD. for some reasons, I had a strong feeling things were not right and I went out and bought it. Only to have this happen for real!

Thanks all for your time and your efforts. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try to provide all feedbacks for all approaches suggested.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back