x-fi

iceman7311

OSNN Senior Addict
i am thinking about buying a x-fi sound car.( the cheapest one tihout the extra box) the problem is i only count 4 audio holes on the back of the card. so does this mean if you have 7.1 surround there are no ports for a line in? and is there any way to connect the digital ports up to the card without buying the more expensive one? also is the a way to buy the base x-fi and later upgrade buy buying just the box?

I dont want to speak out of ignorance, but I do believe that is the case for a 7.1 setup... silly creative.

If you are after the I/O ports and such I found something perfect for this "Please, step over here to my sales tent" :) No, but really after a bit of research I found this nifty little addon.

Link

I am not 100% sure on the site, but I have read tidbits about their product form some various forum posts so I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and just say its very foreign :p They do take Paypal however, so you do have some protection.

I hope this helps solve your purchasing dilemma :D

Last edited:
Sounds like they are cramming multiple functions into standard miniplugs.

Connectivity

FlexiJack (Performing a 3-in-1 function, Digital I/O 1 / Line In / Microphone) via 3.50mm mini jack

Line level out (Front / Rear / Side / Center / Subwoofer)
via 3.50mm mini jacks

AUX_IN line-level analog input via 4-pin Molex connector on card

One AD_Link (26 pin) connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (upgrade option) 1
-Supports SPDIF Out compressed ac3 signal or PCM for Stereo Digital Speaker.
-Also supports SPDIF In with Creative Digital I/O Module (sold separately).

But they don't mention any special adapters to split the signals out with. Which means you can't use all the I/O functions at once. Yuck, stupid.

Need to download and read their manual to be sure.

http://us.creative.com/support/down...4066&regionID=1&Product_Name=X-Fi+XtremeMusic

It's all in the downloadable manual at that link. You need the I/O box to do anything fancy. Without it you have 5.1 thru 7.1 audio out from the 3 mimiplugs and mic OR line in from the 1 minijack.

WARNING: Windows blocks the .chm file format so after the download you have to right click the file, select properties and on the general tab click unblock to view the contents.

Last edited:
The I/O port card uses the same configuration that the "live drive" or whatver you want to call it uses. It has an adapter that plugs into the AD_EXT and SPDIF_IO pins on the sound card. Its basically just PCI bracket version of the front bay, without some of the features (volume controls, IR port for remote, etc..)

Unless you're a hardcore gamer and need EAX support in hardware, there are much better soundcards available for less $$$.

SPDIF Optical in AND out? :drool:

What a nice match for my system. Vivo recordings with optical audion in for no noise!!!

Running through 30' of cable?

I would still rather use optical.

The only X-Fi's I see have a forking FRONT faceplate. Eww. What happened to having a PC that isn't seen or heard?

**EDIT**

Nevermind I found a Turtle Beach Catalina. SPDIF optical I-O in the back. Now to convince April I NEED it.

Last edited:
ok i just bought it and it sounds great on fear. does anyone here have thex-fi hooked up to 7.1 surround because some how it can hook up 7.1 using just three wires leeaving one free on the back. is this possible?

dreamliner77 said:
Unless you're a hardcore gamer and need EAX support in hardware, there are much better soundcards available for less $$$.
I was convinced of that too, I bought an HDA Mystique 7.1 sound card with the cool Dolby Digital Live function... but I must say I was VERY dissapointed. I had an Audigy 2 OEM before hand and I feel the audio quality of the Audigy 2 is better and the performance.. plus having EAX for games is nice. The HDA might be useful for a media pc.. but even then the drivers are pretty poor, The UI reminds me of cheap intigrated audio drivers.

If anyone ends up buying that I/O port let us know how it works out, I dont have the money at the moment to buy one.

Steevo said:
Running through 30' of cable?

I would still rather use optical.

The only X-Fi's I see have a forking FRONT faceplate. Eww. What happened to having a PC that isn't seen or heard?

**EDIT**

Nevermind I found a Turtle Beach Catalina. SPDIF optical I-O in the back. Now to convince April I NEED it.
You will not be able to use Optical for something over 3m. After that the inherent refraction tendencies in the optical cable will cause distortion and interfere with the music or bitstream. You should look for something with a straight SPDIF for a run that long.

I currently use a high grade fiber optic 30' cable with no problems. SPDIF.

iceman7311 said:
ok i just bought it and it sounds great on fear. does anyone here have thex-fi hooked up to 7.1 surround because some how it can hook up 7.1 using just three wires leeaving one free on the back. is this possible?

Yes. Two of the 3 connectors run multiple signals (L-R-F-B). The 4th connector is your input.

falconguard said:
You will not be able to use Optical for something over 3m. After that the inherent refraction tendencies in the optical cable will cause distortion and interfere with the music or bitstream. You should look for something with a straight SPDIF for a run that long.

If optical fibre was so bad at transmitting data over long distances the internet would not exist :p

We transmit data over 3km via fibre here at coreix, if you get a ULH optical transciever you can transmit upto half way around the world via a single optical pair :)

Audio will work just fine - the draw back to optical audio is that it is only stereo at present.

LordOfLA said:
If optical fibre was so bad at transmitting data over long distances the internet would not exist :p

We transmit data over 3km via fibre here at coreix, if you get a ULH optical transciever you can transmit upto half way around the world via a single optical pair :)

Audio will work just fine - the draw back to optical audio is that it is only stereo at present.

True, a quartz or high grade poly based multi strand, multi gate fiber is much faster than coaxial.

Not true that stereo is the only thing capable on fiber. I use it for DTS and other sound schemes from my DVD player or whatever to my reciever. A low grade fiber will limit connectivity to stereo as the reflective-refractive distortion will overcome a higher pulse speed. Thus either quartz or high grade poly will need to be used. Plastic is OK for up to 3m or 9 foot.

Aprox said:
I was convinced of that too, I bought an HDA Mystique 7.1 sound card with the cool Dolby Digital Live function... but I must say I was VERY dissapointed. I had an Audigy 2 OEM before hand and I feel the audio quality of the Audigy 2 is better and the performance.. plus having EAX for games is nice. The HDA might be useful for a media pc.. but even then the drivers are pretty poor, The UI reminds me of cheap intigrated audio drivers.

If anyone ends up buying that I/O port let us know how it works out, I dont have the money at the moment to buy one.

Not suprised that the Mystique sounds bad. DDL is a lossy process.

Even with DDL turned off the sound quality seemed flat and lifeless. But I got an X-Fi on its way to my house as we speak so I wont have to put up with this thing anymore. If anyone wants it I can sell it for cheap :D Like I said it would make a great card for non gamers or a media pc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back