x-fi keep turned up?

iceman7311

OSNN Senior Addict
hey it seems like someone once said that it is bad for a sound card to keep it turned up all the way. i think it was leejend. am i remebering correctly or did i just make that up? if so how high can one keep it turned up out hurting the card?oh and one more small question about the x-fi since the new x-fi's come with heat sinks should i consider gettin a heatsink for my x-fi?

it doesnt hurt a card to be turned up high. You dont need a heatsink on the x-fi.

The only reason you may not want the volume up all the way at the hardware level is just for noise. I was getting light static with mine, so I moved down to about 60 - 75% and the noise went away.

Aprox said:
The only reason you may not want the volume up all the way at the hardware level is just for noise. I was getting light static with mine, so I moved down to about 60 - 75% and the noise went away.

That and if you keep the volume at max then you will hear more distortion as your amplifying an amplified signal.

The sound card has a small amp and when that's maxed you get the distortion, take that then amplify that with your speaker amplifier and you get poor quality sound from your speakers.

Admiral Michael said:
That and if you keep the volume at max then you will hear more distortion as your amplifying an amplified signal.

The sound card has a small amp and when that's maxed you get the distortion, take that then amplify that with your speaker amplifier and you get poor quality sound from your speakers.

Ear smashing goodness.

If you have a good soundcard like the x-fi and good amplified speakers you wont get distortion.

I have the X-Fi and the Logitech Z-5500's and I still get distortion.

Odd, I wonder what it could be then... Perhaps its EMI/RFI from something in my house.

Could be. Might even be a ground-loop or other such thing.

If you can figure out a safe way to investigate might be worth looking into. But if turning the volume on the x-fi fixes it I'd not be in too much of a hurry to be jabbing things into the mains :)

LordOfLA said:
If you have a good soundcard like the x-fi and good amplified speakers you wont get distortion.

Almost all amps can be cause distortion at there max settings. There no headroom for more power if needed (like bass).

You're more likely to hit cone travel limits before you hit distortion on a good amp and speakers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back