WRT54G as an access point

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am gonna relegate my Linksys WRT54G Router to be an access point.

First I must configure this thing to be one. It is going to be connected to the main router. I am wondering which connector should I hook up on the back of the Linksys, the wan or the lan. There will not be any other machines hooked up to it.

How do I configure it? I will manually assign an IP address to the WAN side? Should I just go DMZ, will that work?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Heeter said:
Hi Guys,

I am gonna relegate my Linksys WRT54G Router to be an access point.

First I must configure this thing to be one. It is going to be connected to the main router. I am wondering which connector should I hook up on the back of the Linksys, the wan or the lan. There will not be any other machines hooked up to it.

How do I configure it? I will manually assign an IP address to the WAN side? Should I just go DMZ, will that work?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter
So are you trying to hook two routers up to each other? (both linksys?, if so, then yes it can be done! That's how my setup here at home is done!)

Yes two routers together. One is the linksys wireless mentioned above, the other is a server class Netgear router. The Netgear is the main networking router.

Heeter

I have done exactly what u want to do.

This helped me solve my problem: LinK

Hope this helps :)

When I am done, do I connect the Cat5 from the main router to the WAN of the router? Or does it stay on one of the LAN connectors?

Even following the guides, I cannot get it to work,

Heeter

Heeter said:
When I am done, do I connect the Cat5 from the main router to the WAN of the router? Or does it stay on one of the LAN connectors?

Even following the guides, I cannot get it to work,

Heeter

From your main router put a CAT5 cable in a normal LAN port (on the main router) and connect the other end to the UPLINK port on your second router. Then you have to disable DHCP i think.

I have disabled the DHCP as well.

hmmm, I will go through the setup again, later. I am pretty sure I must of missed something.

By disabling the DHCP, It is the main router that issues an IP address through the access point router. Am I assuming this correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Heeter, if you disable DHCP, you are correct in assuming the IP addresses are spread out by your main router.

This thread gives me a very delicious idea, mmhmm :)

Heeter said:
I have disabled the DHCP as well.

hmmm, I will go through the setup again, later. I am pretty sure I must of missed something.

By disabling the DHCP, It is the main router that issues an IP address through the access point router. Am I assuming this correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

you have to make sure that you assign your No.2 router to a different I.P address than that of your main No.1 router. Your main router might have an I.P address close to 192.168.1.0 (or something similar), ensure that the No.2 router doesnt have the same I.P (as mentioned above) otherwise nothing will work!! I suggest putting the No.2 router to a I.P address of something like 192.168.1.254 (like the article i gave you says).

DaVo said:
you have to make sure that you assign your No.2 router to a different I.P address than that of your main No.1 router. Your main router might have an I.P address close to 192.168.1.0 (or something similar), ensure that the No.2 router doesnt have the same I.P (as mentioned above) otherwise nothing will work!! I suggest putting the No.2 router to a I.P address of something like 192.168.1.254 (like the article i gave you says).

A device cannot use the IP 192.168.1.0, Im assuming you meant 192.168.1.1. Also I would assign the second router 192.168.1.2 and set the main router's DHCP scope to start at 100 (which is the default).

Now Heeter when we say change the IP we mean the IP used to access the config, you dont need to assign any IP to the WAN interface.

Now Heeter when we say change the IP we mean the IP used to access the config, you dont need to assign any IP to the WAN interface.

I am assigning an IP address to that, maybe that's why, DOH!!!

I'll go try it again,

Thanks AM

BTW, Do I just leave it at 0.0.0.0's?

Heeter

Admiral Michael said:
A device cannot use the IP 192.168.1.0, Im assuming you meant 192.168.1.1. Also I would assign the second router 192.168.1.2 and set the main router's DHCP scope to start at 100 (which is the default).

Yes, sorry I did mean 192.168.1.1 - i was getting myself all muddled up. :nervous:

Heeter said:
I am assigning an IP address to that, maybe that's why, DOH!!!

I'll go try it again,

Thanks AM

BTW, Do I just leave it at 0.0.0.0's?

Heeter

Either leave it at Obtain Automatically or assign is something that isnt used so it wont try to look for an IP all the time.

Here's mine:

Attachments

• ipsetup.GIF
    ipsetup.GIF
    4.1 KB · Views: 371

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back