Wrong user name

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
I have just bought a ex display laptop asus a6u and the user name is wrong. The domian name i have changed in control panel - user accounts but deep in side it still shows the user name wrong

reformat /reinstall will fix this - in fact I think it may be the only way, because I got my laptop ex-display and did the same eventually (though not until I was reformatting to dual boot).

Since you say "just bought" this should not present a problem to you - so long as you have the/an XP CD.....

Yes i have all the disks etc but seems harsh to have to do all that. Think i will waitjust took me 2 days to put every thing back on ! thanks for the reply

I did this to fix my folders when I renamed my admin account:

1. Create another user (admin) and login to that account.
  2. Backup the user folder you want to change (C:\Documents and Settings\olduser)
  3. Removed the user you want to rename (thru control panel) and delete the files and make sure C:\Documents and Settings\olduser is gone
  4. Remake the user account and login
  5. Log out and relogin as the other user
  6. Overwrite the files in C:\Documents and Settings\olduser
  7. Logout and Login as the new account and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
sorry did not explain it very well the user name is fine but if you go into system properties the "registered to " is wrong that was done when windowswas first put on in the shop

That information is in the registry so it will have to be changed there,this article should help.

Microsoft

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back