Writing on screen corrupt on startup

mac1

OSNN Addict
Hi all
A computer i built has a funny intermittent error, sometimes when you start the computer the writing on the screen is all garbled/corrupt and even when the computer boots to the desktop everything all corrupt.

any ideas what could be causing this. would it be a corrupt bios on the motherboard.

as this computer is for somebody else i was thinking it would be better to change the motherboard as it would be better than doing a format and reinstalling ever thing just for the same thing to happen again, then have to change the motherboard.

mac

I would start with re-seating the video card, it could be loose.

Thanks.

This is fresh in my mind because about two weeks ago someone came to my desk and said this ....

"I need you to come right now, I have someone on the phone and my computer just died. Out of frustration, I kicked it, but it wouldn't turn back on."

I took a second to gather myself, try not to laugh in her face, went over and fixed it. Part of the solution (not the power-related part), was that her video was all fubar after I had it going again. She actually knocked the video card out of the slot a little :p

However, that's not as bad as it may sound, as it was a Dell that uses that plastic green bar as a holder for the PCI/AGP cards ;)

EDIT: Not saying the card was "kicked" here, but just pointing out that if it is loose, you may see those symptoms.

Last time I had to open a case, the user brought in his RAM from home and shoved it in backwards.

I replaced the motherboard.

That's almost like plugging an RJ-45 into an RJ-11 port :s

Dude, there was gold dust all over the place. :) LOL
I asked him politely if the RAM went in without resistance.

Don't forget that most instructions say "Press Firmly untill you hear two snaps" :D

Gotta love weekend warriors.

Steevo said:
Don't forget that most instructions say "Press Firmly untill you hear two snaps" :D

Gotta love weekend warriors.
Ha, good point :)

Sorry i have not replied but had to go in hospital for a few days, I ate a daffodil bulb mistakenly thinking it was a onion, but i'm ok now the doctors said i would be out in the spring.

ho-ho-ho :)

I forgot to say in my post that the computer has on-board graphics, so theres no chance of the G/Card coming lose.

I have also tried removing the graphic drivers and reinstalling them and also updating to the latest ones which are WHQL Certified.

The guy just phoned me tonight and it has be ok for a couple of days then today when he switched it on the screen was all fuzzy and corrupt again, (his words) he had to switch it of and on again three times until it was ok.

i think it must be the bios, or the graphics chip thats having that time of life thingy, be it very much to soon.

what do you think, do you think it;s time to ditch the motherboard.

your comments are much appreciated

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back