would you pay 5grand for a cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemoney

OSNN Newbie
would you pay five grand for a cell phone ? what about 20 grand? look at it first then reply. look in your piggy bank you may have some extra money.

LINK REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell no... But there's an old saying about a fool and his money soon being parted. Now, I wonder what the phone would actually cost, if someone just bought it retail... I've heard of peeps paying too much on Ebay, and as to the $800 Xbox 360, I also thought the bidder was a bit silly.

Ah well, it's their money, and if they want to squander it, it's their choice. Now, where was that link about someone buying a ghost in the jar on Ebay :laugh:

Edit: I read further down, and suggested retail is that much... Anyhow, people with money who spend it like that, don't keep their money that long...

infact the retail is 4900.00 with all the bells and whistles it can go up to 20 grand. in fact i witness usher buy two in th bel harbour store in miami. if you got spend it

In my view, a cell phone isn't worth that for simple bragging rights. I've also known some people before who did have a fair amount of money, and unlike the person who just won $10 million in the lottery and has spent it all in a year, they're much more apt to invest the bulk of it in many cases.

On the other hand, I've heard from some people who have spent most of their life without, who are thinking if they ever came into money, spend, spend, spend... But as some who have had money most of their life would sometimes say, people who do that won't have it very long...

That's not to say that if after building up a career, I got a nice fat paycheck, I wouldn't be interested in living comfortably :D But that said, I'd also like to be financially secure, and that wouldn't be likely if one were to, and in my view this would be a squandering of one's money...

As one person I had spoken with many years back, who graduated from college and got a fairly decent pay check as a computer engineer put it wrt the original suggested retail for the GeForce 3 (before nVidia lowered it); I'd rather not spend $500 on a card I'll only have for 6 months or so. On the other hand, I have no problem spending $3,000-$4,000 on a new sofa I'll have for many years. Same went for that new car, even though his older car wasn't yet 2 years old... Some people were like "well if you don't have the money", at which he was like "having the money isn't the issue. The return I will get for this, is..." :D Never did say what his pay actually was, but it was enough to think new car right off the bat...

In the end, he did get a GF3, but only after nVidia lowered the price, and he was then able to get a further discount and a mail in rebate through Best Buy...

vertu phones can go way over 20 thousand dollars, some are all platinum or gold etc. saw many in stores in dubai, vertu is the luxury brand of nokia, like lexus from toyota, anyways yeah some people would spend over 20thou on a phone, just like zoe said, if you got it you can spend it

Last edited:
cell phones used to be a few thousand at the entry level actually, 4 grand

I believe you got about 20 minutes of talk time and the battery lasted about 2 months before you only got about 5 minutes of talk time

the article boasts half hour, but I'm telling you I never got more then 20 minutes of talk time...mostly because standby used up so much of the battery

standby time was excellant though at a couple of hours

you were charged over a dollar by the minute even if you got a busy signal, and long distance was added to that

sweet

they came in leather attaches and you could even put other stuff in the attache

they were babe magnets too

I had a few thousand dollar phone bills back then

Last edited:
Meh, I wouldn't care if the phone was made of gold, platnum, some new material someone tried to call zarconium :D , or plutonium... OK, perhaps the last one I might... A radioactive phone seems like a bad idea :eek: There can be sense in paying a bit more, for some added features/functionality, but just to have a platnum phone? Why?

Besides, if one were after bragging rights, which seems almost silly here IMO; a more expensive car seems a better place. Just think about it... The phone is manytimes kept in one's pocket where few would see it until one pulls it out. One's set of wheels is something one takes down the street, which everyone sees. If one really wanted to impress, the car would be seen by more people. But one would also have the added advantage in many cases of better handling, more comfortable ride, better pickup, and oh yeah with all that horsepower the lil ol lady in the beamer can be more easily passed :D

Oh, and btw my first cell phone was bulkier then my last, and with the extended battery, man that thing was fat. It got more then 2 hours of talk time though, probably about 3 or 6 hours, so... Battery tech has improved though, as the newer one, a Nokia actually, was much thinner, no bulky battery, and have over 2x the battery life... I never did bother with it back in the days of analog only service though...

WELL RUMOR HAS IT A PHONE LIKE THAT OPENS MANY DOORS. IF YOUR NOT SEEN THEN NO, DON’T BUY IT. BUT IF YOU’RE AN INVESTOR OR A BUSINESS PERSON. YOU NEED TO IMPRESS YOUR CLIENT OR FUTURE CUSTOMER.

THINK ABOUT IT WOULD YOU TRUST A SO CALLED MORTAGE BROKER IF HE JUMPED OUT A CIVIC? SHOOK YOUR HAND WITH A SWATCH WATCH AND END HIS PHONE CALL ON A NOKIA 2160.

BUT A STOCKER BROKER COMES TO YOU AFTER MEETING AND VALETS HIS BENTLY COUPE AND SAYS GOOD BUY ON HIS BLUE TOOTH HEAD SET WHICH IS CONNECTED TO HIS VERTU. SO IT MAYBE A WAY TO CATCH NEEDED ATTENTION. IF HE/SHE CAN AFFORD THAT THEN I NEED TO LISTEN TO WHAT HE/SHE HAS TO SAY?

YES I KNOW THAT’S JUDGING A BOOK BY ITS COVER. BUT HEY IT’S THE WORLD WE LIVE IN TODAY

OOPPSS force of habit. dont mean to scream . maybe i'm going blind and need in caps

I'm getting a feeling that zoemoney is the seller for the auction.

I thought posts in all caps were automatically changed to normal... :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back